What's new
What's new

What is holding the plastic "knobs" on the levers of 2006 Komatsu forklift ? (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
What is holding the plastic "knobs" on the levers of 2006 Komatsu forklift ? (photo)

The forks up, side shift, etc levers have knobs you grab....one of mine (fork positioning) is mangled up a bit (how on earth that happened is beyond me...previous owner). Wonder if the knobs are screwed on or press fit ? Suppose I could put a pipe wrench on it since it looks crappy already but still better to know ahead of time what is holding that thing in place...can't begin to move it by hand muscle power alone.

photo-121.jpg

If you can order the knob separately, then it's threaded on.

If you can't order the knob separately, order the entire lever.

Sincerely,

Mr. Obvious

Given that they're square-ish and aligned, I'd suspect they're driven onto a spline or a flatted shaft. Possible with a bit of a taper and groove on the shaft to lock them into position axially. Is it worth getting a replacement from a dealer? Then inspection would give a pretty good clue.

Since I assume you are planning to replace the knob with a factory one or identical looking aftermarket one, my advice is this:

Go online with the model number and look for a replacement knob. If none are available they likely sell the whole lever. Aftermarket may have a "kit" to replace a knob.

When the new part arrives it should give a clue as to how they are mounted.

Hint: Hyster used to use plastic knobs on fork pins, the ones you lift to slide the forks on smaller units. The replacement kit includes a new pin, metal knob, and roll pin. After the fork is removed from the carriage you smack the top of the knob to shatter the plastic and make the old pin fall free. Then the new parts are installed.

It may be a similar case of a molded knob that locks to grooves on the lever and has to be broken off. The replacement may have a steel spring clip insert. Having the new part on hand always makes it easier.

I'd say there is a good chance the knob is injection molded around the lever.

Time for an upgrade!
71oGJb9hBKL._SL1500_.jpg

I lied
its the Nissan that the knobs turn
the kamatsu has to be glued or something cause I gave them a pretty good twist an nuthin'

Don't know for sure about those, but if they are screwed on, there is almost certainly a high-strength thread locker in the thread. That, in combination with a brass insert, can often give you an almost immovable threaded joint after curing. The idea of checking to see what's available for a spare part is a good'un.

Don't know for sure about those, but if they are screwed on, there is almost certainly a high-strength thread locker in the thread. That, in combination with a brass insert, can often give you an almost immovable threaded joint after curing. The idea of checking to see what's available for a spare part is a good'un.
I ordered a new knob last Friday (along with other Komatsu doo dads) so guess I'll find out soon...

I ordered a new knob last Friday (along with other Komatsu doo dads) so guess I'll find out soon...

Which is exactly why I suggested looking for the knobs first. If they sell only the knob there has to be a way to install it and often with instructions. Open the package carefully as these days the instructions are often printed onto the plastic.

Which is exactly why I suggested looking for the knobs first. If they sell only the knob there has to be a way to install it and often with instructions. Open the package carefully as these days the instructions are often printed onto the plastic.
That is not exactly a brilliant revelation.....of COURSE that would indicate how the knob is held on... I was just curious if anyone knew from experience RIGHT NOW, TODAY...just curious is all....not like I'm looking for a cure for cancer...good grief...

Got my new knob in....the mount is simply a hard plastic tube molded in the softer knob material...no threads, just a hole.

So I take a pipe wrench and the old knob twists right off.
Push the new one on and discover there is apparently a slight internal taper that matches slight external taper on the steel lever it mounts to. Just a spot of epoxy to make sure it doesn't twist
off some day and simply push it on...piece of cake.

Back