What's new
What's new

Yale spur gear hoist

robvds

Cast Iron
I just bought a home made gantry and I am looking for information on the Yale&Towne spur gear block. It says specify model SS for parts. It has no weight capacity marked on it, I would guess 3 tons but would love to know more. It uses 1/2'' diameter lift chain and seems in excellent condition. I can not seem to find any mention on google for a model SS, can anybody shed any light on it?
Rob

If you clean the dust off the end-plates, you may find remnants of a load rating. That looks comparable (or somewhat larger) than my Jet 3T-rated chain hoist, so I think you are in the right ball park.

don't much care about the beam capacity or the chain block's for that matter. The casting is very clear, it says specify model SS when ordering parts. I just came up empty when googling this model other than a reference to 1913. This is a pretty modern looking device and runs smooth as butter. There is a pawl that only works in one direction, I suppose I will have to open it to find out how it works and brakes.

Yes thanks, it is probably pretty close, I found lots of hits for the BB and BS, making it all the more odd that my SS is not mentioned. I will open it up to learn how it works and check the brake material. All my other hoists are differential rather than spur gear.
Rob

If it is a 3 ton hoist that does not mean the gantry can lift 3 tons. It just means someone had a old hoist around and hooked it to there gantry with no concern for ratings
Bil lD.

As best as I can tell from one undimensioned photograph (meaning: don't bet life or limb on it), the OP gantry is at least as heavily built as my 3T-rated Vestil gantry.

Looks like a 5ton hoist, for lift chain you need grade 80 or 100, both of which have working load capacity safely north of 10,000lbs in the 1/2” size.

The gantry??? Looks like 10”, don’t know if it’s W or S flange but 5t may be a bit ambitious. Pushing that gantry around without some big azz wheels under it would be very ambitious.

Chain falls are nice hoists ‘till they overhaul on you, then you gotta work on them...

Good luck,
Matt

I will measure the beam one day. The way it is designed the clear span in the middle is only about 6'so it will take quite a load. The castors are only 6'' so wheeling it around outside will not be easy. It has 2 fixed and 2 swivel castors. I have a big 4x4 forklift to move it around with. I had to cut the bottom 7' off the legs to get it home, I have not decided how high I will make it when I reassemble it.
Rob

Looks like a 5ton hoist, for lift chain you need grade 80 or 100, both of which have working load capacity safely north of 10,000lbs in the 1/2” size.
Why 80 or 100, OSHA reg or capacity concern?

They weren't dumb back then, they'd have provided enough pullies to handle it with grade 30, maybe 43

Back