What's new
What's new

Any way to haul a box truck 950 miles without it costing a fortune ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Van cutaway with 12 foot box, weight 7K, height 11.5' Ideal would be one of those semi double drops that disconnect in the front for drive on/drive off... but price for that would be in $3,500 range. Any other ideas (besides flying up there and driving it back myself) ?

Rent it out as a mover and hire a driver. Or find something you can buy cheap up there and sell it when you get it home to cover the cost.

Post on Craigslist in that area that you need it driven to you, $200 CASH and a bus ticket home. Ask for a copy of drivers license and insurance, that should weed the crackheads out. Then you will need to be trusting. Im not that trusting, but Im not you either.
Personally, I would call a friend and see if I paid fuel and hotel costs, if they would go get it for me, or see if any of my clients had an empty back-haul from that vicinity. ( I do a lot with heavy truck fleets)

Posting on craigslist in the town item was located - advertising for a 'ride' for a small shaper - I got a lady traveling here to bring it to me for 60$ - from Michigan to Texas..significantly less than any other method I could find..
And then there are companies on-line with driver services to deliver vehicles like "Auto Driveaway"

Probably no shortage of retired folk on PM with flexible time and high all-weather road mile experience that could help. I could if it were Metro DC sourced.

But should a biznessman trust to 'whatever' my level of inch-hoorance and skill really were ...and are NOW? Or that I won't do a silly prattfall at a fuel stop and break my back while in even 'pseudo' employee or 'has agency' status?
Or tee-bone an LPG tanker on a frozen road? Whose risk? Who suffers? Who pays?

Not really.

More better to use a total stranger that is in the Day Job biz of vehicle delivery and has a verifiable track-record at that, inch-hoorance and all.

JM2CW, but 'economical' ain't the same as stupid-risky cheap. "Obvious" or otherwise..

Bill
I agree, I was just tossing it out there as an option. I know a couple of people who have done similar things with cars bought off of eBay with success, but there was no bizniss involved.

I know a bunch of long haul guys who could piggyback a truck on the west coast, but don't know that any of them are going to be on the east coast any time soon.

Might check with Freightliner at Gastonia or wherever they are around that area, or Thomas Bus which is also owned now by Freightliner. I see both of them driving trucks and busses thru here on I40 all the time, and it could be one of their drivers would be going where your van is and interested in making a few bucks instead of flying back. I assume Freightliner contracts this with someone rather than employing the people themselves.

"Up North " meaning staying along the east coast ?

Maybe an Amtrak ride is in your future ?

As much as I've come to despise some of the "hotshotters", this sounds like a great job to post on uShip. If you're not familiar it's almost an ebay style shipping site. Post your loads and specs, people will bid allowing you to see their terms, feedback, insurance, etc. There are many big time professionals on the site, many small time guys doing it right... But there are some shady ones too. Luckily feedback weeds them out. Id use shippers from there to move a sheet metal brake, but not a 2013 Okuma if you catch my drift.

I would look in my circle of friends. One of them could use extra money. Fly em where the box van is at, give them money for Super 8 and food. I would bet for a total expenditure of $1000 or less you get your box van and they get some extra $. Make sure your insurance will cover them. I think everyone wins.

Nah, Michigan...drive is 15 hours...would imagine Amtrack would take a few days even if it went there.

Well, along the east coast they are pretty good. and Chicago to New York
is a normal run as well.

My niece travels a couple times a year to college from Erie, to Boston, and while maybe
being a couple of hours late, really hasn't had a problem.

It certainly would be nicer than Greyhound, but I can understand if the train don't go within 5 miles of
your destination, having to then rent a car as well.

A Miata wouldn't be much challenge for it to haul. A motorbike could just go inside the box.
You remember my "how to tie down a Miata in a box truck" thread a while back ? The other trick is a loading dock would be needed at both ends with lots of room including straight down ramp to ground level. Either that or hire rollback truck on each end to drive the Miata in/out of the box onto. Re motorbike...oh yeah, that would be real pleasant for 950 miles in the dead of winter headed to Michigan :eek: :dopeslap: (need a frown/dead face inside block of ice emoticon)

Re motorbike...oh yeah, that would be real pleasant for 950 miles in the dead of winter headed to Michigan :eek: :dopeslap: (need a frown/dead face inside block of ice emoticon)

"Heated Handlebars".....they make 'em for snowmobiles....just sayin'

Seriously,
how ever you get your butt up there, the fact remains in driving an empty
truck back home thru the worst part of the year.

I would suggest as soon as you get in it, stop by the local Home depot
and buy (8) 50 lb bags of "play sand" (their about $4 each) and set them
just ahead of the rear axle.

Play sand is soft (unlike cinder blocks) and in case of a wreck (or a ride
into the ditch with the sudden stop) they'll kinda "slosh".

Hmm. I'd be a little cautious of buying a northern truck due to all the salt corrosion issues. Once they get started they don't stop.

The opposite, however, works quite well :)
Yeah I know...but this one has traveled as far south as Atlanta in it's rounds and at least age wise hasn't been up there all that long. OTOH it has a built in hydraulic scissor lift to raise the box to dock height and I am worried a bit about that part being rusty as it rests between the frame rails.

Below is link to the truck... I bought it a few minutes ago. That 12 foot box, scissor lift mechanism, hydraulic legs, and AHT liftgate cost $32,000* new installed.... plus the cost of the truck itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-O...9faa8009e&item=111579496606&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

The box only weighs 1,000 lbs...plus 1,200 more for the "Rite-Lift" system and AHT liftgate.....so the haul capacity is more than I expected even at a pidley 10000 GVW truck rating. Box is composites and supposedly just as rigid as the old style....we'll see. Note liftgate is half the capacity of my Hino AHT gate but I think I can live with 1700 lb cap.

(Of course if this whole setup was on a 2009 Isuzu NPR gas, 14 foot box, with Rite Height and 3300 lb AHT liftgate I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven....but word I'm getting is due to hospital beds being lighter these days none of those guys have ordered one that way...so none out there.)
-------------------

"Eco" 12' box $11,000
AHT liftgate $10,000
Rite-Height system $11,000

Last edited:
Seriously,
how ever you get your butt up there, the fact remains in driving an empty
truck back home thru the worst part of the year.

I would suggest as soon as you get in it, stop by the local Home depot
and buy (8) 50 lb bags of "play sand" (their about $4 each) and set them
just ahead of the rear axle.

Play sand is soft (unlike cinder blocks) and in case of a wreck (or a ride
into the ditch with the sudden stop) they'll kinda "slosh".
I dunno Doug...32 bucks...maybe if I buy a lifetime supply of cat litter instead...at least that would get used later ;)

I dunno Doug...32 bucks...maybe if I buy a lifetime supply of cat litter instead...at least that would get used later ;)
You really only need it until you make southern Ohio, then you could ditch it.

$40 to help you drive in the snow ?.....some people sure are cheep.....

All right, all right....get yourself qty (1) mafia block....those are only $25, and will
provide plenty-o weight. (4,000 lbs).....:skep:

And you can use it out front in the parking lot later.

Hmm. I'd be a little cautious of buying a northern truck due to all the salt corrosion issues. Once they get started they don't stop.
So what do you guys do up there, just scrap all your used vehicles after a few years and import them from the South ?? Seems like their should exist drive thru car washes that spray water up from the floor to clean off the salt ?

Back