What's new
What's new

1987 QT-8 T2 control wont power up Hydraulic System

Bob Wade

Aluminum
Hi guys, I haven't posted anything in a while but my QT-8 is acting up again. When I hit the power up button the screen comes up normally but I noticed that the Off button and the power button are both lit. Also I get a chuck barrier alarm and the work light wont come on, Machine wont home, Tool probe wont drop, basically nothing other than the monitor comes up, I can hear and see the cooling fans on the back of the cabinet running, I seem to have more problems with this machine when I don't use it all the time, Its been setting for quite a while since I used it last,and I noticed last night that some of the parameters have * instead of numbers. I replaced the batteries last year, used it for a project and haven't used it since. I know this is not the proper place to put that I would like to sell this machine but I would let it go on the cheap because I don't use it very much and I don't really have the time to mess with it anymore, I also could use the space in my shop.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get to either fix or unload the machine.

Bob

Its been setting for quite a while since I used it last,and I noticed last night that some of the parameters have * instead of numbers.

No hydraulics means you lost critical parameters due to low batteries. Needs new batteries again if the machine is going to sit for extended period.

Need to reload the parameters, power off machine and restart and it will be fine.

No hydraulics means you lost critical parameters due to low batteries. Needs new batteries again if the machine is going to sit for extended period.

Need to reload the parameters, power off machine and restart and it will be fine.

Thanks Philabuster, I tried to send you a PM but got an error saying your PM box is full. Anything I need to know before I start inputting parameters, I did remember to take a picture of the parameter screens before I changed the batteries last time. Are there hidden parameters on this machine that may not be accessible by me?

No need to worry about hidden parameters for your machine. Remember the OP parameters (0000 0000) need to have a 9th digit added totaling the number of 1s when inputting the number. PMs cleared.

That is a great Idea, there is one lit, but I think i did that when I cycled a CB with power on.

I need Batteries,

Any body have the part Numbers for the Batteries on My QT-8 the last ones I bought were from Batteries Plus and Im not completely convinced they were the right ones. I maybe should just buy them from Mazak or what are your guys thoughts?

Here is my solution: (3x AAA NIMH 3,6v)
View attachment 208431

10x capacity
1/2 price
No risk for leaking on the boards
Easy to change
I did something very similar by buying 3.6v NIMH battery packs for cordless phones and adding longer leads to them. Cost less than $5 each when I was done.

Amazon.com: Kastar 3-PACK 2/3AA 3.6V 8mAh EH Ni-MH Rechargeable Battery for AT&T 2422 8-574-- Lucent 2422 Vtech ia587 ia5882 Sanik 3SN-2/3AA3-S-J1 Cordless Phone (Check your Cordless Phone Model down): Electronics

I was told that wouldn't work with that type of battery because the boards don't output enough voltage to recharge them and I also tried the cordless battery thing with no luck so I wound up going to Batteries and Bulbs and they actually soldered me together the correct batteries and wrapped it to make a battery pack for $9.50 a piece

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Also I don't know if yours is different than mine but mine supposed to get 3.6 volts where looks like you're giving yours four and a half if that winds up working for you let me know cuz I'll try it too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

AA and AAA NIMH is 1,2V X 3 = 3,6V
Have used it this way for a year now and the machine was without power for 5 weeks during summer without a battary warning, so I guess it works fine.

AA and AAA NIMH is 1,2V X 3 = 3,6V
Have used it this way for a year now and the machine was without power for 5 weeks during summer without a battary warning, so I guess it works fine.
Same here. The larger NIMH batteries are proven to work in my two 1987 era Mazaks.

Thanks
Guys I was able to order the correct battery from Interstate batteries for 24.99 each, I am going to make leads to mount them away from the boards so the person who buys this machine wont have to go through all the B.S. to replace the batteries. Wish me luck, I will post pics of the install later, the batteries will be here Thursday, I will get them installed this weekend. Now if I can get help with the parameter install and how to wipe the memory or do I need to do that?

Thanks for all the help guys, the batteries didn't get here yesterday (Thursday) hopefully today. I will post the results on Sunday or Monday.

Anybody have any interest in this machine, I didn't get a chance to replace the batteries this weekend, maybe this week i will be able to. I Just don't use this machine as much as I thought I would. I Would be interested in selling it or trading it for something I may use more frequently. Perhaps a plasma table or something else. Whats It worth could someone give me an Idea? :scratchchin:

Thanks
Bob

Update on the resurrection of the QT-8, I replaced the batteries and installed the parameters but still have issues, the spindle won't turn when I command rotation in manual mode and the tool eye won't drop, I've got hydraulic pressure now and the chuck will open and close, x and z axis are moving in jog and hand wheel mode, machine will home. Now the biggest issue is that M29 parameter won't let me put a 0 in, my parameter sheet shows a zero there, I can change it to any other # just not 0. I'm starting to worry about this machine, is there a chance the spindle control went bad just setting there for a long while?

Update on the resurrection of the QT-8, I replaced the batteries and installed the parameters but still have issues, the spindle won't turn when I command rotation in manual mode and the tool eye won't drop, I've got hydraulic pressure now and the chuck will open and close, x and z axis are moving in jog and hand wheel mode, machine will home. Now the biggest issue is that M29 parameter won't let me put a 0 in, my parameter sheet shows a zero there, I can change it to any other # just not 0. I'm starting to worry about this machine, is there a chance the spindle control went bad just setting there for a long while?

Make sure your tail-stock body is home and that you cycle the chuck to the closed position or the spindle will not start.
I look for the light next to the tail-stock body switch.
Check the switch in the control-cabinet to choose ID (internal) clamping or OD (external) clamping direction on the chuck-closed limit switch.

I don't think I'd worry about the M29 parameter. Mine is set to 1 on my QT-10 and it won't accept zero either.
The page in the electrical manual with the parameters has a little note about parameters M28 through M31 which reads:

"M28 ~ M31 alteration 1 → 0 S.K."

I don't know what S.K. stands for, but that note seems to be saying that there's something special about changing those parameters from 1 to 0.

As far as your tool eye goes, I can't help much since mine was missing when I bought the machine.

I would suspect that the control may check the program zero, tool offset, turret position and perhaps the chuck / jaw data to ensure the tool-eye will not crash. So perhaps setting those data points may be a good start.

Back