What's new
What's new

'96 SQT15MS Live tool coupling

ManualEd

Stainless
Hey All,

I'm in the hunt for some live tooling for a 96 SQT15MS VDI 40, but I've heard Mazak likes a "modified" VDI holder.

What exactly is modified? Just the drive adapter, or the entire VDI shank?

Does anyone have a picture they could post up of the coupling?

Thanks,

Ed

Not sure about the modified via holder but the mazak ones are shit for anything other than drilling, tapping and small endmill work. I have 1 horizontal and 1 vertical head from kennametal and I rate them HIGHLY! Both have through coolant but the only downside is they MUST run wet all the time cause the coolant lubricates the seals which also means you have to run filtration. I'm looking at a sandvik horizontal head at the moment which takes capto c4 purely because we already have c4 adaptors and hydro grips at work. There's heaps of other brands out there as well WTO seem to offer the biggest range though

I'd greatly prefer not to have to buy an actual Mazak branded one. OEM stuff is usually way more expensive and not as great quality as a nice aftermarket part.

Edit: I'd also love one with through coolant on it. THat would be a HUGE plus. Are the seals something you have to rip the whole block apart to change?

I see lots of live tool holders for the X-axis that don't have that locking/locating pin for the turret, and just has a round body.

Will any of these fit any Mazak so long as it's the right size VDI?

Back