Close
Login to Your Account

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That post I linked to is no good, it's for a later model integrex or similar.

It looks like the generic fanuc post is a good place to start.

I was making progress on worked and what didn't and my spindle drive or motor took a crap. Really frustrating.
    I might abandon the mitsi freqrol and go with a cheap inverter spindle drive.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GP Tech View Post
    That post I linked to is no good, it's for a later model integrex or similar.

It looks like the generic fanuc post is a good place to start.

I was making progress on worked and what didn't and my spindle drive or motor took a crap. Really frustrating.
    I might abandon the mitsi freqrol and go with a cheap inverter spindle drive.
    My spindle is working ok after being left off overnight. The drive doesn't like getting warm after being on for a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GP Tech View Post
    My spindle is working ok after being left off overnight. The drive doesn't like getting warm after being on for a few hours.
    You can check the main stuff in those drives with a DMM.

The stuff that is likely to fail in the high current portion of the drive would be:

Main Rectifier diodes
    DC Link Capacitors
    Transistor Modules
    Wire-wound resistors

You can check all of that with a quality DMM, even without a spec sheet.
    Just be sure to check for high DC voltage in those big capacitors before you do ANYTHING else. They can store upward of 600 volts.

Make sure the cap is close to the value printed on the label in uf.
    Make sure the TMs are relatively close to each other in their resistance values between E, B, C terminals.

It is tough to get good readings without taking out the bus-bars, etc.
    That's where your digital camera will save you. Take good pictures before pulling anything out.

If one of those parts is failing softly due to heat, you can swap in a new component before it goes completely and burns up other stuff.
    You might be able to save that drive with some inexpensive parts.
    If you know someone with a megger, disconnect your spindle motor and check it too.

I've saved a Fanuc spindle drive with a $10 resistor.

4. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cwtoyota View Post
    You can check the main stuff in those drives with a DMM.

The stuff that is likely to fail in the high current portion of the drive would be:

Main Rectifier diodes
    DC Link Capacitors
    Transistor Modules
    Wire-wound resistors

You can check all of that with a quality DMM, even without a spec sheet.
    Just be sure to check for high DC voltage in those big capacitors before you do ANYTHING else. They can store upward of 600 volts.

Make sure the cap is close to the value printed on the label in uf.
    Make sure the TMs are relatively close to each other in their resistance values between E, B, C terminals.

It is tough to get good readings without taking out the bus-bars, etc.
    That's where your digital camera will save you. Take good pictures before pulling anything out.

If one of those parts is failing softly due to heat, you can swap in a new component before it goes completely and burns up other stuff.
    You might be able to save that drive with some inexpensive parts.
    If you know someone with a megger, disconnect your spindle motor and check it too.

I've saved a Fanuc spindle drive with a $10 resistor.
    Thanks, I've been over the drive a few times and replaced all the electrolytics which did fix up some of the issues it had, but it looks like the DK434 chips are playing up when it gets warm. I'm going to try the VFD retrofit, nothing to loose. If it doesn't work I have a manual lathe I can use the VFD on.

6. Likes xa-mont, cwtoyota liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a good way to think about it. You have to figure the old drive will die out completely someday.

I'm interested in seeing the conversion process unfold. Sounds like a fun project (as long as the machine isn't holding up any paying work).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can find the DK434 chips on Ebay.

With an oscilloscope, it is possible to determine which firing circuit is bad on the SE-IO1 main board. This is what MEAU does, as they only replace the minimum necessary components.

I have successfully rebuilt a SE-IO1 by replacing -all- the main components in the firing circuits: DK434, and all the related: capacitors, transitors, diodes, and resistors.

The transistors are a PAIN because you have to de-solder the heat sinks first.

But, I too am interested in a "best spindle-drive retrofit" practices for Mazak's with T2/T3 controls.

ToolCat

9. Likes cwtoyota liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    You can find the DK434 chips on Ebay.

With an oscilloscope, it is possible to determine which firing circuit is bad on the SE-IO1 main board. This is what MEAU does, as they only replace the minimum necessary components.

I have successfully rebuilt a SE-IO1 by replacing -all- the main components in the firing circuits: DK434, and all the related: capacitors, transitors, diodes, and resistors.

The transistors are a PAIN because you have to de-solder the heat sinks first.

But, I too am interested in a "best spindle-drive retrofit" practices for Mazak's with T2/T3 controls.

ToolCat
    I've ordered the VFD, 7.5kw.

I'll start a new thread with that one.

I think the next step with the EIA is developing a post from fusion that works 100%, xa mont has offered some help as well as atomkinder.

11. Likes cwtoyota, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This FX17 board came in today. Do the jumper settings look correct?
    So far I haven't found a chart for FX17 jumpers.

img_0271.jpg

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My fx17 rocked up yesterday

14. Likes cwtoyota liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    My fx17 rocked up yesterday
    Sweet!

It looks like our jumper settings match up. That's a good sign.

Country
    SWEDEN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got my FX17C a week ago that will go into my QT10ATC and it has the same jumper settings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a QT6G (Gang Tooling) with a Flex GL-6 Gantry. I've had it since 2008 and it has just sat there. Have it wired up and looking to program or set it up to make suppressor parts. My question is the text painted on the machine says "Mazatrol T-2" but the amber screen (no color) when I fire it up says "Mazatrol EIA Dash" Real Time Operating System Ver5.0, Copyright 1995. The machine is March 1998. I downloaded to manuals "Mazatrol Cam T-2 T-3 Primer" and "Mazatrol Cam T-2 EIA/ISO". Which one applies and more important, any tips to learning how to use the machine?

20170526_105856_1495821645330_resized.jpg20170526_105918_1495821642956_resized.jpg20170526_105942_1495821640779_resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RDTS View Post
    I have a QT6G (Gang Tooling) with a Flex GL-6 Gantry. I've had it since 2008 and it has just sat there. Have it wired up and looking to program or set it up to make suppressor parts. My question is the text painted on the machine says "Mazatrol T-2" but the amber screen (no color) when I fire it up says "Mazatrol EIA Dash" Real Time Operating System Ver5.0, Copyright 1995. The machine is March 1998. I downloaded to manuals "Mazatrol Cam T-2 T-3 Primer" and "Mazatrol Cam T-2 EIA/ISO". Which one applies and more important, any tips to learning how to use the machine?

20170526_105856_1495821645330_resized.jpg20170526_105918_1495821642956_resized.jpg20170526_105942_1495821640779_resized.jpg
    If it's not a T2, it might be a T32 or T-plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think probably a T plus my new to me late 95 qt10 is T plus
    same style door and sheet metal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked again and must have hallucinated the T-2. There is no text on the machine but here is my start up screen. Funny the amber screen reminds me of my first "Blue Chip XT Computer" in 1986,lol. Can a GL-6 Gantry be retrofitted onto a QT-8? Might as well throw this out, anybody in the Phonix AZ area (Cave Creek)that can help me out with this and a FADAL 30/16 or know where I can post a request?
    20170527_115122_1495912502237_resized.jpg20170527_115155_1495912505351_resized.jpg

How do I get rid of "Plastic" on my avatar? Looked all over and can't find it?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RDTS View Post
    I looked again and must have hallucinated the T-2. There is no text on the machine but here is my start up screen. Funny the amber screen reminds me of my first "Blue Chip XT Computer" in 1986,lol. Can a GL-6 Gantry be retrofitted onto a QT-8? Might as well throw this out, anybody in the Phonix AZ area (Cave Creek)that can help me out with this and a FADAL 30/16 or know where I can post a request?
    20170527_115122_1495912502237_resized.jpg20170527_115155_1495912505351_resized.jpg

How do I get rid of "Plastic" on my avatar? Looked all over and can't find it?
    I'm thinking from looking at that you don't have a "mazatrol conversational" controller at all, and it's some other mazak controller that I've never seen.

A quick Google of mazatrol eia dash brings up a few results, I'm thinking maybe it was a low spec, non conversational controller, much like most generic fanuc controllers.

And "plastic" in your profile is just because you have a low amount of posts. Post more and it changes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks "xa-mont"! I found on ******* a EIA Dash manual that states "The NC for Mazak lathe QT6G was renamed to the new name MAZATROL EIA DASH from the former name "IMAC-LT" but the NC for the tapping center has not been renamed yet and the previous name "IMAC-TP" is still used. The service manual, however, generically calls the booth NC's "IMAC" and explains their service method.
    Anybody have an idea what that means?
    Figured it out...G Code! Looks like maybe HSMX can post process into the EIA Dash.
    Last edited by RDTS; 05-28-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that's very much an odd duck you really need the manuals specific to
    that particular machine. give Mazak a call see what they can tell you

Fadal is simple if it's a cnc88 just need a good cadcam with a good post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi 72bwhite. I have the manuals to the Mazak, but a friend familiar with CAD has them right now. The nice thing for me is after messing with it for a few days I have the spindle turning, bed moving etc. The tool setter has 2 eyes that where stuck in the pushed in mode but I have massaged them out and the lights red again.The Fadal is a "32MP Micro Processor CNC CONTROL". It's a VMC3016 2007 Fadal Factory Rebuild.My next step with the FADAL is installing the 4th axis board and equipment that I bought pulled out of another FADAL. My friend that has the manuals is a GM engineer and hopefully will be dropping by soon. I am looking for a person to do the Mazak programing for me till I get up to speed.