What's new
What's new

Adding lns barfeeder to mazak qt15.

Lyk31337

Cast Iron
Came into work on Sunday night and one of the two mazaks I run was unplugged and not functioning. Turns out that they are moving the shop all around.

As I understand it the mazak wouldn't run without the barfeeder atleast plugged in, but the previous operators never used it, it just sat behind the machine.

Well now that it's being moved its been decided to actually hook up and used, and there's no one here that has used a bar feeder on a mazak before.

I have a couple questions about it before I'm stuck just staring at the bar feeder.

How does the thing function with the machine?
And by that I mean is it manually programmed in the machine controller or is there another way?

The way the machine was set up before I know for a fact that the open and close chuck m codes didn't work, is this possibly due to how the barfeeder was rigged up to the machine just to let it run?

In general is this thing even worth the time, I really have only wished I had it for one job since its mainly prototype here, 3-5 parts.

It's a LNS hydrobar don't really have additional details yet.
Right now it has a pneumatic foot clamp for the chuck.
And it's a mazak qt 15 about 20 years old using a t2 controller.

I know I'm not being to specific about much as I don't know all the details, but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

possibly (because they can be wired in however someone wanted) your hydro bar
is energized and pumping whenever the machine is in auto
bar sits in tube of very heavy oil which acts as a dampener
there is a piston in the tube that advances bar when ever the collet is open.
so
bar shooting out the tailstock hole is a distinct possibilty if you ain't payin' attention
there is an "end of bar" signal generated by a collar that is activated by push tube.
chop that off and through in garbage as it will generate constant false alarms

Back