What's new
What's new

Aligning turret tool position. Cannot bore, drill etc. SQT-18MS

evidence_UA

Aluminum
Hi there,

does anyone have a kind of instructions or turet plans or at least the manufacturer, for aligning the turet tooling postion. To clarify what i'm saying - the drill tip is below the z-axis of spindle, and same are the other tooling, so the problem is not in holder.

We have loosen all the bolts, pushed with the big piece of rod, but anything happens. Appreciate for every comment

Great job, thanks! But i doubt if they will fit my Mazak.
And there a shown the alignment of turret by Z and X axis, but i need it to align in Y-axis, though i do not have an Y-axis on my lathe. It seems to me like a turret does not rotate nearly couple of degrees for proper position

-y- height is a function of the radial location of the turret
but
you are right, in those live tool set ms lathes it is much more involved than a common cubic couple setup.
you have to go inside the turret and loosen the pinch couples on the "turret axil" also.
hopefully one of the guys that had been in one in the last decade will come in with some pointers.
if not I'll give it a try but it's been awhile and I'll probly miss something.

I'd go back and fix the typos the spell check took over but you get the idea and on a Mobil you cannot edit.

If you are only off a little bit, pull the front cover (with the tool #'s on it). Then you will see SHCS that hold the turret. loosen those and rotate the turret a little to get back on center. After that you will need to check that your live tool drive tang is still lined up with your live tool. You can make a tool that fits the VDI and has a bore the Drive will fit in. If you do this set the spindle speed to zero and manually engage the live tool. I have also put a live tool in and started the live spindle very slow and gradually increase speed to see how it sounds. If it is out of alignment, you will have to get into the back of the turret(tail stock side). There should be a bigger pulley that has hole to allow access to the bolt that pinch the live tool drive shaft. Make sure you have the correct ones. They will be the long ones. Take 1 out and see, then put it back and loosen the others, I think every other one. This will allow you to turn the drive knuckle and get it lined up with the new location of the live tool.

I've got a very detailed Excel file on how to adjust the curvic, and the live tool head, with labelled pictures..

Whats the common way to upload it here?
Dropbox seems to have gotten rid of their Public file thing...

Edit: This link might workhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQ-BN4vGGxOhFTDELSnZMc5bdRe

Editedit: I'll check back later tonight. If you can't get if from the link, PM me your email and I'll send it over to whoever wants it.

Thanks you very much guys, will try out at end of the week.

ManualEd, everything is ok, i can download a file from your link, thanks

Hi there,

does anyone have a kind of instructions or turet plans or at least the manufacturer, for aligning the turet tooling postion. To clarify what i'm saying - the drill tip is below the z-axis of spindle, and same are the other tooling, so the problem is not in holder.

We have loosen all the bolts, pushed with the big piece of rod, but anything happens. Appreciate for every comment
if i understand you correctly their is a maintenance book on parameters that can be adjusted for turrett. basically many cnc you change PWE or parameter write enable to on then go to parameter screen and change parameter then turn PWE back off. sometimes you restart machine after adjustment. i would always record before and after parameters. quite common to go wrong way 1st time and have to adjust the other way
i do not know exact parameter to use to adjust your machine.

Attachments

• MazakMaint.jpg
    MazakMaint.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 912
Did i understand properly? - If i need to adjust the turret along let's say Y-axis rotation - i can follow only this steps:

As far as I remember yes.
Put a BB holder in the turret and tighten the locking bolt.

After cracking those small allen head cap screws, I remember it taking quite a good smack with a dead blow hammer.

If it doesn't move the direction you want, try going the other way to confirm that it is loose enough to move.

If it moves the opposite direction, and you can't go far enough in the correct direction to align it, you MAY have to remove the turret to adjust the curvic coupling.
It only has so much movement in either direction with those bolts.

If thats the case, you might have to check with some of the more experience people here.
The Tech mentioned it in passing a year ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

I've got a very detailed Excel file on how to adjust the curvic, and the live tool head, with labelled pictures..

Whats the common way to upload it here?
Dropbox seems to have gotten rid of their Public file thing...

Edit: This link might workhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQ-BN4vGGxOhFTDELSnZMc5bdRe

Editedit: I'll check back later tonight. If you can't get if from the link, PM me your email and I'll send it over to whoever wants it.

What type of document is this. The document when I download it comes as .numbers file? I tried excel but it did not work. I would like ot save it for reference since I have the same machine.

those bolts will only get you about .015 movement max.
if you need more you have to go in from the back of the turret and loosen several different pinch couple setups.

Did i understand properly? - If i need to adjust the turret along let's say Y-axis rotation - i can follow only this steps:

Thanks, finally we can move it around 3-4mm just as you mentioned and its enhough for our goals. But the other problem - when we allign it (i put a bar in spindle with the dia of Boring toolholder and just go with the turret onto it) and tighted the bolts - we still have an out-of-alignment around 0.5mm (0.02 inches).

many machines by changing a parameter setting you can have tool stop anywhere you want it too. numbers might be in metric
you could have is stop 1.0000" out of position if you wanted it too. parameters change tool change position as it is a grid shift position or basically a certain distance from zero return position
so parameter reads X100000 Y150000 or a number from zero return position. by changing number it changes distance from zero return position. thats how you align turret. it is in the maintenance manual

you have to tighten it down slowly, rechecking and moving it around as you go.

The other thing is you need to check more than one tool holder station. Here in the real world, there is no such thing as perfect, you have to balance the error around the turret. Though .02 is pretty bad.

Back