What's new
What's new

Any VC500A Smooth Technology Owners To Answer a Question

Terry Z

Cast Iron
Hi, we just had this new machine installed. Long time Mazak user we have 4 510C mills and one VTC-30 and a bunch of Mazak lathes. Well when the install was complete we were going over this new control with the install guy ( very good guy I must add) we went to measure tools and this machine will not measure a tool larger than 1/2 inch without a Y axis alarm hitting the hard stop. If you have one of these machines what is the largest diameter tool you can measure the diameter? I refused to sign off on the machine. The install guy said that this was not right and put in a call to Mazak.

What sort of tool were you trying to measure? I know when we had our vtc-530/20 mills with smooth controllers installed face mills can't be measured using the auto tool set function along with endmills over a certain diameter but we had a parameter changed which allows us to set all our endmills using the auto tool set function. You can always use the semi auto tool measure function to set the tool lengths as well but that involves manually winding the tool just over the tool setter, press semi auto measure then cycle start which is a bit more work but should work on all tools.

Is this with Mazak plunger type tool setter or Renishaw TS/OTS?
Old Plunger type will not check Dia but you already know that ....you have a VTC Machine. Only thing I can think of is location of tool setter on Machine table. Too close to Y limit.

Back