What's new
What's new

Anybody have a SQT-18M or similar?

SuperQuickTurn-18

Excellent Turning Centers, Live Tooling adds to its Value as it saves much time from not having to set up a mill or Machining Center in many applications where "FACE & O/D" Milling, Drilling & Tapping is required!

From personal experience, I highly recommend them!

I have an SQT-15MS and I love the machine. 16 years old and still holds great tollerances. Parts are readily available and seem to be rarely needed. I love Mazak controls for turning. Milling leaves me scratching my head some times, and the sub-spindle makes things a little more interesting.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.

Dan

Thanks guys.
I have the SQT-18 as an option on the table right now. We're really looking for a multiplex 620 or 6200 used/late model machine right now. I have one that I'm 2nd in line for so I have no idea if i'll even get to see it so I was curious about the SQT-18M. I have a few mazak lathes... just none with live toys.

Anything in perticular to watch out for on the live tool machines?

I should mention. The SQT-18M comes from a very reputable reseller/dealer with a 30 day return if you're not happy. However it comes with NO live tools. I'd have to buy some new ones. When you want another live toy.... do you have to buy new? or are there good used ones available, or is that a no-no?

I know it doesn't matter to the owners but I hate to work on the multiplex machines. I'm a big guy and just don't fit in there. The SQT machines are nice and simple

justin terry

I should mention. The SQT-18M comes from a very reputable reseller/dealer with a 30 day return if you're not happy. However it comes with NO live tools. I'd have to buy some new ones. When you want another live toy.... do you have to buy new? or are there good used ones available, or is that a no-no?

Used is prolly dooable - if you can find them. Generally they will stay with the machine they were bought for. I watch for live toys on ebay semi regularly, and seldom doo I see any Mazaks. (actually - not many pop up ever for that matter. Mostly swiss.)

New = $alty.

Is this a VDI-40 machine?

Wait - aren't the "M" machines ... don't they have a tool changer and take Cat tools?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for all the input guys.

Actually Justin_Terry... I heard the same thing the other day from service tech that works on all out stuff.

Ox, Yea I've done a little looking around on ebay and it doesn't look like many are available and there are all kinds of different types... not real excited about having to buy new ones if we buy this machine.... but it is what it is...

And no... the M just stand for live tools, milling capacity.... at least on that vintage mazak.... not sure if its a VDI.. .i'd have to check the info at work tomorrow.

The SQT's use a "bastardized" VDI system. One that Mazak came up with...to insure you have to buy the live tool holders ("toys" in Ox-speak) from them.

But, alas, most of the live-tool makers have tools to fit the Mazaks.

Oh yeah, to further complicate things, the Mazak Multiplex's use a slightly different Mazak-VDI than the SQT's use. Basically the "teeth" in the Mazak-VDI shank is at a different radial angle for the Mulitplex versus SQT.

Ox, the Mazak lathes that use a tool changer are the big Slant Turns. And of course all the Integrexes.

Greg

I know they made smaller units that way as well. Think 1990 vintage...

I have a pic of one on the board down in the other building that I had interest in back in another life. (or so it seems) It was prolly an 8" chuck machine? (As everyone seems to like to rate them by chuck sizes?)

It was a nice lookin' machine .... 15 yrs ago. :D

I think I can make the model off the pic if I wander down there. Not sure I'm quite that concerned about it right now tho. ;)

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Just my $.02. Go for the multiplex. Much more useful than the SQT. Lots of times we run parts on both heads at the same time. On simple parts it's like having 2 machines. Multiplex live tooling does show up on fleabay more often than SQT. 620 and 6200 machines are just right. 610 and 615 are tight to work on and the live tools don't come to center-at least on our 610.

Yea... what we really want is a Multiplex 620 or 6200.... it would really be a good fit for some of our work. The hard part for me is figuring out how to squeeeeeeeeze a good HMC and a good Multiplex into our budget... not sure if I'll be able to do it.

Back