What's new
What's new

Can anyone tell me about Mazatrol CAM-2 controls ???

rockfish

Titanium
Hello. I'm looking at a Mazak VMC with a Mazatrol CAM-2 control.

Is this a useful control ??? Realizing there will be differences between a lathe and mill control, is the control similar to a T-32 control on a QT-15 ???

Thanks,

Frank

Similar in that it uses separate process like the lathe, but that's about it.

VERIFY the machine will do EIA (G-code) before you even think about buying it. EIA was still an option so make them prove it has it. Do NOT take the salesman's word it will do G-code. Many of them are clueless about the old controls. For many people HURCO conversational mills are the best machine based conversational controller.

Mazatrol is the shiznit for lathes, but I have heard only so-so for mills. Never programmed the one and only Mazak mill we had.

as stated
the 2 was the predesesor for 32 and will be the same but differant
what sort of mill you lookin' at frank?

Mazatrol milling is the cat's meow for a job shop....just like turning.

Mazatrol milling units will not do 3-d surfacing of molds and dies...you have to do that using g-code generated by a CAM system.

But, for face milling, slot milling, profile milling, drilling, tapping, boring...the stuff that jobshops do, mazatrol milling is just a powerful as the turning.

Be forewarned though, Mazatrol milling has a steeper learning curve than the turning!

And, an M-2 control is getting a bit old. They function fine when working, so make sure you see it program and run. And you MUST plan on having an experienced Mazatrol milling man to help for a couple of days, or you will be LOST for a long time.

Catman

Amen to that. M2 is very slow. It pauses at each move. If it has EIA progaming, even slower. Never use a cutter comp or it slows even more. VQC 20-40 is a very heavey well built machine. If everything is tight, good buy. Have a hole milled and look for pauses at x and y. (slop) Great for drilling and blanking out stock. Rigid tap= NO.

Back