What's new
What's new

Can ya help with my first Mazak program?

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Hello all,

First post here. A little background, I went to school for CAD design. Along the way I took classes for CAM programming as well as CNC (lathe and mill) I ran a older 2 axis converstaional lathe for a summer making acme threads and a few other simple parts.. Im no where near a proficent machininist. Im still in that phase of soaking up tons of information every day..

Anyways, I work for a rotating equipment company now and after i did a few things on the manual machines the boss asked me if I wanted to run the CNC (integrex 400) Its certainly one of the nicest machines ive ever used, but im still not completly sold on mazatrol, but for the simple parts we do, it works pretty good.

Like i said, I dont know everything, but one thing I was always taught was to always corectly warm up the machines. (Espcially when its got a heater on one side and a cold drafty bay door on the other lol) so when I got there a month ago, there was no warm up cycles done in the machines. Day one I at least let the spindles run while we are in the safety meeting. When i get out of the meeting ive been manually moving the axis's around and then running the machine slow for the first hour or so. I want the machine fully warmed up when I get to it from now on.

So first things first, I figured id learn some programming and get the machine a nice warm up program (kill two birds with one stone)

(Assuming machine is in home position)

First move:
Z to travel center, X0, Y to its outer limit,

Move 2:
b axis to 180, Y0, negative travel limit in the Z, postive travel limit X ,

Move 3: retrace its movements movements back to first move end point

Move 4: mirror image of move to (to positive z travel limits and B0)

Repeat for 15 minutes. Ideally the axis' would all move together and finsh their move at the same time.

Getting the steady rest to follow would be cool to, though, not really needed.. If your think of the letter "m" thats basically what i want to do with the outer legs cut off of the "m"

Im sure with cam it would be a sinch, but i dont have any cam software at all. I dont have enough experiacne with this machine to know what modal values to set, or how to make both spindles run at once.. I also am not sure how to make this easily adjustable just in case i have a long part in the machine. Maybe i need a different program for that.

So outside of the basic commands (spindle start, absolute mode, inch mode, coolant off, etc etc) how should i get this done?

I assume a macro would allow me to set certain paremters from the mazatrol interface (ive read about other macros in the past) but that will probably be beyond me at this point. I figured just manually programming the points in a gcode program would work, for now.

I punched this in years ago. Feel free to use.
Runs about 10 minutes.

O500 (WARMUP CYCLE)
G0G91G28Z0M9
G28X0Y0A0M5
G90
T00M06
S1000 M03
M98 P501
S2200 M03
M98 P501
S3600 M03
M98 P501