What's new
What's new

Changing rapid stop distance prior to feed

Nummesia

Plastic
I run a Mazak VMC with the M32B controller. Currently running castings and most of the time I don't have an issue but with casting variability I am breaking tools on the initial cycle.

Right now my tool will rapid in Z to 0.1 above the Z0 and then it starts to feed. I need to figure out how to stop the rapid at 0.25 above Z0 and then start feeding as normal. Driving me a bit nuts and I have broken 3 $150 end mills so far during this run.

I run a Mazak VMC with the M32B controller. Currently running castings and most of the time I don't have an issue but with casting variability I am breaking tools on the initial cycle.

Right now my tool will rapid in Z to 0.1 above the Z0 and then it starts to feed. I need to figure out how to stop the rapid at 0.25 above Z0 and then start feeding as normal. Driving me a bit nuts and I have broken 3 $150 end mills so far during this run.
initial Z i believe is one of first things programmed. i often set at 2" if i got to clear hold down clamps

Attachments

• initialZ.jpg
    initialZ.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 78
you can even change from initial Z to cut depth
at rapid
at feed
i often set 2x feed so from initial Z it goes down say F40. in Z but feeds XY at F20. always a argument among programmers. rapid all the way to cut depth raises crash risk, if it slows down below initial Z height operator has a second to react and maybe prevent a crash. the programmers who like rapid all the way to cut depth often have crash marks all over the vise jaws.
when you set to feed mode (rather than rapid) below initial Z often just put in 2 and its 2x feed rate below initial Z. its explained in the manuals

I understand what your saying but my machine won't let me do that. And I don't have a manual available either for some reason. Owner of the shop i work at lost it years before i started working here. Machine I use is 20+ years old lol.

I'm gonna break it down into individual steps to make my problem a bit more clear.

Step1: get tool from ATC.
Step2: rapid to x0y0 with an initial z clearance of 3.5
Step3: rapid to z+0.1
Step4: feed from z+0.1 to z-0.06

I need to figure step 3. Stop the rapid at z+.25 and then start feeding from z.25 to z-.06

I understand what your saying but my machine won't let me do that. And I don't have a manual available either for some reason. Owner of the shop i work at lost it years before i started working here. Machine I use is 20+ years old lol.

I'm gonna break it down into individual steps to make my problem a bit more clear.

Step1: get tool from ATC.
Step2: rapid to x0y0 with an initial z clearance of 3.5
Step3: rapid to z+0.1
Step4: feed from z+0.1 to z-0.06

I need to figure step 3. Stop the rapid at z+.25 and then start feeding from z.25 to z-.06
milling it reads depth AND SRV-Z
if you tell it 1.0 depth and 2.0 SRV-Z it will start cutting much higher. i often increase SRV-Z more than depth if my part is extra big
SRV = surface removal
your SRV-Z can be less than depth, of coarse too. all depends on job/part. surface removal depth and cut depth not always same thing. your cut depth might be 4" but you might need to only remove 0.100" on that part shape at that spot, about 3.9" it starts to cut til 4.0 depth
slow rapids and look at distance to go screen. single block is useful too for debug

Attachments

• SrvR.jpg
    SrvR.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
+1 For increasing your stock removal value.
Might need to play around with your srv-z and dep-z if you find your making loads of fresh air passes to begin with.

Back