What's new
What's new

Chuck Barrier Alarm when C axis drilling

Captdave

Titanium
Have a part that needs 1/8" hole drilled on the OD at C0, the head fits in between the jaws but have to cancel the chuck barrier to get it in there. We properly describe the jaws and always run with the barrier on, is there a work around besides cancelling the chuck barrier?

SQT-15M T+ control.

TIA

When running a simulation, where exactly does the collision occur? When set correctly, there should be a good visual as to the actual point of impact.

The simulation is fine and there is no collision on the machine as the chuck barrier is doing its job by stopping the drilling head from entering into the protected area. I know this is a pretty old control and my guess is that since you can not describe the physical width of each jaw, it doesn't have the capability to know that the head will fit in between the jaws without interference.

I guess you could tell it there are no jaws on the chuck, but that pretty much defeats the purpose of barriers.

On my Mazak with a Smart control I can turn both chuck and tailstock barriers off with M123, do an operation or several, then turn the barriers back on with M124. Prolly control dependent, but works fine for me.

M123 and 124 is blank in our book. I would think this would be a fairly common occurrence when doing 3 axis work, just most of ours are on the end of the bar so haven't run into this before.

The barriers are only 2D so for all practical purposes the machine thinks you are running pie jaws, so there is no room for your milling head. Either get a longer drill/holder or turn the barriers off or cheat with the input for jaws.

If you're worried about operators fat fingering an offset during the turning and crashing the lathe, you can make a separate program without chuck barriers for just that drilling part.

At the end of the first program have it continue machine to the second program.

Though you might have to manually switch to the first program before hitting cycle start again, unless theres a way to have it change to the first program without running it.

Are you bar pulling this?

If you're worried about operators fat fingering an offset during the turning and crashing the lathe, you can make a separate program without chuck barriers for just that drilling part.

At the end of the first program have it continue machine to the second program.

Though you might have to manually switch to the first program before hitting cycle start again, unless there's a way to have it change to the first program without running it.

Are you bar pulling this?
Its simple enough to just cancel the barriers on this couple of jobs but getting them to remember to turn them back on for other work is where the challenge will be, the good thing is they automatically turn on the next morning if they forget. I just don't want a habit formed by the operator of not running the barriers.

This is a slug job, 3.75" D parts.

Have a part that needs 1/8" hole drilled on the OD at C0, the head fits in between the jaws but have to cancel the chuck barrier to get it in there.
TIA

That is what is creating the alarm.
Your between the jaws.
Sounds like all your barrier settings are good.

My recommendation is don't touch "Barrier Cancel" button.
Only turn off the chuck barrier for only the one milling tool.
Go in "Tool Data 2" and find the milling tool in question then in holder type change it to "Zero".
Remember to return it back to the original number (1,2,3,4) Milling holders should be set to "4".

This way the chuck barrier system will continue working on everything except the one milling tool.

Hope this helps

Back