What's new
What's new

Decoding Mazak lathe date code?

carbonbl

Cast Iron
I just purchased a Mazak QT-8N lathe. On the serial number plate under date there is the code "H111" or "H 1 11"
How can I determine what manufacture date this corresponds to? I imagine I could get in touch with Mazak but was wondering if there is a quick way to know. Searched on PM and the wider internet but could not find any info.

Somewhere on the plate will say the year built whoever it will be in abbreviated form like 95 meaning 1995

Somewhere on the plate will say the year built whoever it will be in abbreviated form like 95 meaning 1995

Only things stamped on the plate are the model, serial #, date (just "H111" in this section) and weight. Nothing like an abbreviated year.

Talked to Mazak USA today, this date code corresponds to a Nov. 1989 build date.
Its derived by Japanese Emperor Years. Currently its the Heisei period. Hirohito (Showa Period), died in Jan of 1989. (He of Pearl Harbour fame). The son Akihito came into power in 1989. So H1 11, is the eleventh month of the first year of his reign.

Heisei period - Wikipedia

Previous to Jan 7th 1989, the date would have started with an "S" for Showa. With a year as high as 64. Hirohito came into reign in 1926.

Regards Phil.

Yours must be about the absolute end, of when they stopped dating machines like that. Right on the cusp of the old boy for the son. I'd thought it ended a few years before that. When they chased the Western Market.

It should have been quite offensive for those that came before us. Okinawa (Your culture), Singapore / Changi / Kokoda Trek (My culture).

Wasn't the best idea, to the West, to date machines according to Uncle Hirohito.

Regards Phil.

Back