What's new
What's new

Drive alarm Z axis on a QT-10 with T3 control

atomas

Plastic
Hi everybody,
I bought a running 1986 Mazak QT10N with a T3 control. It has a 16 pocket tool-changer with live-tooling and C axis. I let it lay on the shop floor for a while until the batteries went dead(now I know I was stupid...lesson learned!) and all parameters were lost or corrupted. Then I got a copy of the parameters from nice people here. I changed the batteries, reinitialized the control according to the procedure described in the service bulletin 0989-002. Then settle a problem with memory parity alarm. Put all parameters back in. Now, the bug of the day is #14 Drive alarm Z axis. I have checked LS, turn the ballscrew by hand(well not really by hand, that carriage is a heavy monster!). From a mechanical point of view, everything looks fine. I tried to unplug the Z axis resolver and got a No signal alarm instead of Drive alarm Z axis. Could it be the resolver? I also tried to swap X and Z resolver on the board and still got that Drive alarm Z axis. Any clue on this one?

Mike

the alarm come up when powering machine up. I tried to disconnect the Z motors from the drive. Didn't change anything. I had a look at the posts you suggested. I'll give it a second look when I'll be fresh and alert. For now, going to bed! Thanks alot for all your help!

Mike

the alarm come up when powering machine up. I tried to disconnect the Z motors from the drive. Didn't change anything. I had a look at the posts you suggested. I'll give it a second look when I'll be fresh and alert. For now, going to bed! Thanks alot for all your help!

Mike
You're welcome. :)

Your problem may be a faulty drive or related electrical, but it could also be an incorrectly entered parameter. I would start with the parameters first.

I can email you the parameter list from my machine (higher image resolution than I can post on the thread), but there may be a parameter or two different than what your machine needs. The milling spindle alarm my friend had was ultimately related to one parameter different from my machine to his.

I accept your offer! I believe it make sense to double and triple check those parameters since all this mess started from there. For the parameter for the milling, I remember your post about this and the thing about single drive vs separate drives. The conclusion was crystal clear to me. I'll have a second look on this since my machine as two separate drives, just to make sure.

After that, I think the next step would be to try to swap the drives. Is it has "simple" has it looks like or is there a catch hidden behind those boards? I have looked at it yesterday and it seem that all jumpers and switch are identical on both drives. I know it's a serious job, taking note of everything and being very careful as miswiring could be fatal. As for what I see, I can handle this. If there is more behind...hummm not sure!

Anyway, I'll send you a PM with my email address. First thing first, let's recheck those parameters!

Mike

Post a pix of the drives, there were several varities in use on this age of machine.

The pix may be helpful if wire labels fall off or help answer other questions as the arise.

Bill

Parameters sent via email. :) Again, I cannot be sure my params will work. It may still be a param related issue, so do not start swapping out drives as they might be fine, just not compatible with my parameters.

Latest news

Ok guys, here's a updated. After Philabuster sent me his parameters I decided to recheck everything. Since parameters looked all right, I went further and unplug Z motor from the drive. No more 14 Z axis drive alarm.
Then I checked those leads to the ground... :eek: Both lead wires were grounded! So I though maybe carbon dust had shifted when I changed the brushes. I opened the bugger to clean it up and found a burnt leadwire. I changed all leadwire and connectors, cleaned everything, check the rotor and winding, now everything is fine.
I still got that #14 drive alarm Z axis and most of the time #205 milling system malfunction. I played alot with motor leadwires and encoder plugs on the drive. At one point, I had swap the problem from Z to X. So I got #14 X azis drive alarm. It makes me think the problem must be between the drive and the motor/encoder. Further in my experimentations, with some wires of the Z axis unplugged, I've been able to move the X axis. This makes me think the drive is ok. Today I'll try to physically swap X and Z encoders.

As for #205 alarm, I have no clues... When I get this alarm, all red led are light up on the drive. Sometime I switch the breaker off to turn the drive off and then back on and the alarm goes away. Sometime it doesn't.

I'm a hard headed man and usually not a quitter...but I started thinking of trading this Mazak for a Black & Decker toaster oven!

Have a nice day and a good cup of coffee!

As for #205 alarm, I have no clues... When I get this alarm, all red led are light up on the drive. Sometime I switch the breaker off to turn the drive off and then back on and the alarm goes away. Sometime it doesn't.

I'm a hard headed man and usually not a quitter...but I started thinking of trading this Mazak for a Black & Decker toaster oven!

Have a nice day and a good cup of coffee!
Mine used to throw the 205 milling alarm when I tried to turn on the milling spindle. The quick fix in 1996 was to slow the accel potentiometer on the separate milling spindle drive. This makes the spindle ramp up to programmed speed slower, which draws less power.

To this day, the quick fix is still working. :)

If you were closer to AZ, I would certainly trade you a nice toaster for your Mazak. :D Black and Decker or this one:

Most Expensive and Best Toaster In The World « Latest Technology News

Attachments

• 4 slices.jpg
    4 slices.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 530
Update

Hi everybody,
I'm still working on my QT-10 to get it back to life. Lately I decided to swap the drives. I should have done it right because this problem is solve! There is probably a side of the X-Z drive that was faulty. Swapping it for the C axis and being lucky, it must use the good side for it.

After this I have been able to move both X and Z to home and jog the spindle. Everything looks fine...until the next problem!

But as I don't have drive axis alarm anymore, I'll start a new thread for the rest of this saga.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this one, especially philabuster!

Mike

Back