What's new
What's new

Electric brake removal!

landm1

Cast Iron
Hello,

Need a littel help. Well, My 2003 SQT100 MSY has been running really for the past year and a half. X axis thrust bearing is getting a little noisy so I decided to take the plung and get it done.
Well pulled to covers, ordered the brearings and Kluber greese. Blocked the turret slide up with a 4x4. Removed the bottom nut on the screw and the plate under, bumber, the bearings did not fall out.
No room in there at all, so here we go on the other end. Pulled the motor at the coupling. Next comes the electric break. Unsrewed the three screws on it and it begins to move with the pressure from gravity (X-). The casting is blocked but I did not put a ton of pressure on hte wood so there is still just a little travel in it. I did loosten the two set screws on hte side of the square nut but I think the break is still engaged and the cable will not let the unit spin with the lead screw as it settles.
The break housing will seperate from the motor bracket but again, I think it is active.
Done a lot of work on Mazaks but I have never had to deal with an electric break. I will call Mazak on monday, they told me las tweeK I was going to have to pulle the motor and I am sure the lead screw is going to have to be removed to force out the bearings.
If you have any ideas let me know.

Have a nice day!

Michael H. Slavinski

The electric brake should slide free of the leadscrew with all the bolts removed. The brake has a female spline, and the screw will have a male spline.

The brake only releases with power applied. Thus, if the turret dropped some, the brake may be in a bind. It should come off fairly easy.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Greg

Back