What's new
What's new

Everyone with a vqc 20/50b thread/ shop talk

Jgryz450

Cast Iron
Hey everyone I'm really excited the lease will be going through 4 the building next week I will finally get to Shell out another $2,500 to get the machine delivered there... the history goes like this I bought it a month and a half ago in Illinois and brought it the warehouse in Jersey and now finally get to bring it home to PA I bought it off eBay a shop needed the room and I believe a newer machine because he replaced it with a 2000 mazak AJV 25/405 with the same envelope. I got to see it running for a total of 30 seconds before I got power down and put on the back of a truck at that point I was very happy thought I had a good deal because the way covers are brand-new looking and the table still has the factory grind marks on it because they used a sub plate and the spindle was almost too quiet at max rpm. At that point the only problem I knew and had was they didn't use the tool changer but it did go through the motions of changing a tool so I felt confident I can fix this. See I always wanted my very own mazak I ran them for almost 20 years setting up and programming and let's be honest they are the best when it comes to doing home projects at lunch time haha. so long story short to fit it into this building I'm going to need to pull off the brackets that hold the hydraulic hoses and the electrical lines off the top of the cabinet and hopefully I can get a couple inches on the head cover off and the bracket that holds the hydraulic lines if not I'll have to go even further but that's okay because this is my baby and she's getting all ripped apart and put back together perfectly so I hope LOL one thing that does scare me I got all the books for this machine and I was told when I bought it everything was Factory besides the board that was changed when they first got it in the control unit and one day I was taking pictures of all the electronics do some research I found the drives are not even original so my question is what would be the best step in doing preventive maintenance so I don't have any issues when I really running this thing I'm talking taken the encoders apart cleaning then as well as the servo Motors and all of the switches changing all the fluids checking out all of the lines for the way oil. Making sure everything is adjusted perfectly the maintenance manual is very intuitive. How many give it all I got for the maintenance because I'm putting everything I got into this thing and I'm hoping it gives it back or I just wasted a whole lot of money lol .The guy I bought it off of said it was a good machine but I'm easily duped when it comes to something I really want so if you guys got tips and advice I love to hear it and once I get it and tear it down build it back up hopefully I'll be some help to you guys as well. I know I'm stressing myself out by worrying too much but I know these old machines only get a whole lot and this thing's been across five states and on three different truck so far I'm just praying to God don't want to fire this thing up I don't have any problems if anything I have to enter the parameters back in but the guy said that I can just change the batteries two weeks before I bought it so those should still be good we'll see if he was telling the truth

I got the original manuals with it and they have the serial numbers and the rev/version letters listed. They don't match up. Your rite, as long as they work!

So I'm back to ripping it apart to fit thro a 90in hight door, glad I did. One for the large cables that go into the cabinet from the top was hacked and electrical taped back together at 1point. Definitely gonna undo and examine and check continuity wen I reassemble it. Don't know y mazak did it that way were only 3 of the 5 cables have the screw together plugs? I'm seeing that the machine was thro all this before....lol. I do plan on taking the servo motors and the encoders apart like you said. Once it's in it's happy New home! Lol. One thing I known is shops only do quick fixes to get up and running to make money asap and since it's been apart that far and the head covers and brackets were off I definitely need to go all the way if I want my baby to live up to her name! Lol, next weekend the head covers and brake and counterbalance bracket and electrical box on the side and the way lube bracket are coming off, I just pulled the large hydrolic and electrical line bracket off the back. I can see why the AJV was redesigned! Lol

One thing you want to do is pull off the spindle cover. Looking at the machine on the LEFT side is a inspection cover. Remove the 4 screws and look at the shaft the tool clamp pivots on. Mazak holds this in place with a piece of sheet metal in the shaft groove on a very tiny bit of the sheet metal. Ours wore out the sheet metal and the shaft moves out of place and did not let the tool go during a tool change what a mess that caused. So I had our water jet guy cut replacement plates that engage 180 degrees of the shaft slot. This will never happen again. I have two extra plates left.

Terry I can't find what your talking about. I have pics, I'll install tapatalk when I have time. I'm upset right now because I can't get the machine down to the 90 inches I need to fit through the door so it looks like I'm going to try and remove the header instead bexause with the ball screw sticking out it's a waste of time taking it further apart last week it was a waste of time too because I'm still stuck at the 99 inches I was at before. I can remove the counterbalance bracket and possibly the brake and move electrical panel down a little bit but that's a waste of time

For the 20/50. Its only a 10hp max spindle. It has 2 breakers in the cabnet. A 20 and a 40. Yet it has a 23.4kva variable voltage transformer for the in coming power. The math is at 240v its like 52 amps. Just wandering will a 60amp breaker really be enough?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So i got my parameter disk in the mail today! 😁😁😁 im excited to use it if i have to when i finally plug her in! I have all the manuals but decided the disk is the way to go. Its for a 20/50b or a 20/40 , both machines or on the floppy labeled cmt1 and cmt2. From reading all the horror stories i feel it was way worth the hundred bucks!!! So now im thinking if someone has a question or a problem i may be able to help, for exchange of knowledge of coarse...lol. im hoping that this disk will fire the machine rite up without any alarms! PleAse god,, please god ,,pleeeeeeezze god let that be the case! ! ! Lol so anywho untill the utility co. Brings me the 3 phase I'm gonna try to hook it up with a converter and feed it 100amps and keeps ma rapids at 50%. That's one reason i was askiin all the vqc guys how they have there's wired up. On another subject i found a 4th axis drive for $600 online today! Seems someone else scraped out there vqc........pity.....good for us tho! Im finding that the parts are cheap but the 4th axis itself is NOT!!! Lol. So one thing ata time....eventually things will pan out......i hope! Haha. its been eating at me every day not having the machine. And a little false paranoia every time i see a part for sale online...lol [trust issues for a particular reason]. Anywho i was thinking about taking the sheet metal i have for it at home and having car quest match the colors (white n blue) and get a head start on repainting the ole girl, also pick up 10gallons of the dte32 hyd oil and all the other types of oil it takes. I have a 5gallon pale of ho-cut 795 coming as well! I love that stuff! Smells like fish eggs but bacteria doesnt grow in it so it never gets rank and it also cleans the machine like brand new! NO residue, no B.S, and you can tap with it! !!! Hmmm,,,cant give away all my secretes !!! Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back