What's new
What's new

Fr-sf-2-7.5kp

Captdave

Titanium
Just arrived in Bahrain and decided to check online on the status of the drive repair.

Drive was received on 3/19 and the only thing it shows so far is work in progress on the PCB SF-BS, not sure which one that is. The card with visible damage was the SR-CA card, but maybe that hasn't been addressed yet.

The quote for repair I received has gone up a couple of hundred due to it being a -KP drive, which now is $3010.00. If it goes back in without any further problems then I'm happy to pay it to get the machine back in service.

Decided to throw some of the material we had waiting to run on the Mazak onto the Hurco just to get some of them done since I thought I would be leaving on this trip sooner then I did, and was a great chance to give that 1" ripper mill I've been itching to try out.

Using 2 vises with soft jaws we started with the 6"x1.2" slugs, center bore finishes to 3.125". Ran the ripper at 6,000 RPM, 150IPM .175" DOC 65% step over and 5* ramp, cycle time was 4+05 compared to 1+45 on the Mazak, but was still better then I thought it would be. The 4-3/4"x1.5"x2" bore parts took a little less time since the the bore is smaller had to lighten up a bit cutting the bore to keep from re-cutting chips.

BTW, I was surprised that it took longer to pre-drill a 1" hole then to just ramp into the part, I'm sure most of the time was ate up by the extra tool change:crazy:

That ripper mill is one awesome tool :D

The kid will be busy shoveling chips this week!

The kid emailed me and said that UPS dropped off the drive yesterday afternoon as he was leaving the shop. I knew it was in transit but disappointed that the MEAU website doesn't show what the problem was and what all it took to repair it back to 100%, only mentioned a repair to the PCB SF-BS and nothing about the visible damage to the SR-CA card.

It will be Wednesday afternoon before I'm back in the states but I'm thinking it may be worth a call to MEAU to get more details if available.

Installed the drive this morning and on power up it was throwing alarm 85 spindle control (CPU) malfunction on the screen and 27 on the drive. Calls Mits and was told to check the drive parameters, they sent the procedure to access and read them so off I went to have a look. About 50% of them were different from the drive parameter sheet so reset them accordingly and cleared the alarms and the machine is back in service.

Its a good thing I made a backup copy of the parameters before shipping the drive off as it came back missing the sheet metal cover and the parameter sheets, they claim they can not locate it but will send a replacement.

One thing I have noticed is its not as smooth on deceleration as it was before. If you MDI the spindle to 5,000 RPM it accelerates smoothly but during deceleration it sound like its pumping the brakes and the load meter is bouncing up and down. Also, on long liner cuts the RPM varies 20-30 RPMS and sounds like its breaking as well.

In the morning I will recheck all the drive parameters but right now my body is screaming for sleep, the 12 hour time change from Asia is killing me.

BTW, the service report says that they replaced all the inverter base modules, fans, fuses and SF-CA card.

That's irritating about the parameters.

When my control went out to be repaired......it came back with 8 jumpers on various cards misplaced, and 2 missing.

You have to be happy it's running.:D

Mike

Belts are tight and show no signs of galling. I haven't had a minute to investigate this further as we are so far behind on getting parts made and the machine is running good at the moment.

I did have a nice surprise yesterday, Mits did send a replacement cover for the drive. I guess they couldn't find the original so better then nothing I guess since its missing the model and serial number. Its a good thing I made a backup copy of the parameters before I sent it in or I would have been really screwed.

Dave,

Mits has been known to half-ass a drive rebuild the first time through. I have had to send servo drives back for a 2nd repair.

Keep an eye on your drive and how it is working. If it continues to act up, you may have to send it back under warranty.

Greg

Back