What's new
What's new

Groove-turn tool setup

ManualEd

Stainless
Hi All,

Is there a way to describe a groove-turn, or full radius profileing tool so that Mazatrol will use them correctly?

I've only tried it once or twice, but I was never able to get it to work properly.

Specifically, if you say you have a grooving tool .125 wide, with .0625 corner rad, would you be able to use that to profile a radius?

I have never had any luck doing it with Mazatrol.
If I have to do like a concave radius half way down a part say, I have programmed it in a grove out. It will rough it out like a groove then finish it doing a profile.

If I am understanding you correctly and your using a full radius groover to turn/profile with then yes it is possible as we do this all the time. Describe tool as above with the radius being half of the total width. If it matters we have Tplus and 640T controls which work but our T1 doesn't work for doing this. It will work on BAR CPY and EDGE. Just verify on your graphics that the control is compensating for the nose rad and your good to go. You have to lie big time if your using a tool that has any flat on it though. Dont know if Mazak has addressed this much needed feature in the more modern controls.

Hi All,

Is there a way to describe a groove-turn, or full radius profileing tool so that Mazatrol will use them correctly?

I've only tried it once or twice, but I was never able to get it to work properly.

Specifically, if you say you have a grooving tool .125 wide, with .0625 corner rad, would you be able to use that to profile a radius?
Full radius tools work fine to profile using a turning process. Groove tools with a corner radius will work too, but you need to modify the trailing edge geometry in Mazatrol to compensate for the flat width on the insert.

I wrote about it in more detail here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/t2-programming-200-please-bob-274368/#post2147093

Thanks everyone!

I'd like to use a full-rad CBN profile insert for some rollers I do.
A TNMG ceramic never seems to start in the right place. It always needs some comp in Z oneway or another.

And thanks for that Phil. Its going right into the bookmarks bar next to "T2- bar puller programming"!

Back