What's new
What's new

Help an idiot out - Mazak Dual Turn with auto doors

bonestock

Aluminum
This machine has 640T control and seems to be a bit of a different animal than my other mazaks. I've had the machine on my floor since June but haven't had much time to get it running.

Among various other issues trying of trying to get the machine to work in manual and auto modes I'm trying to figure out the normal process for how the auto-doors should operate. I am under the impression I should be able to hit the door close switch and cycle start together to run a program. I should also be able to hit the door open button and the unlock button on the control to open the doors. Neither of these processes work. The manual I have says nothing about door operation so these steps are just what I have gathered from internet searches.

I was watching some youtube videos of these machines the other day and it looked to me like the idea was you could transfer the part from one spindle to the other then the open door of the first (left spindle I suppose) you could load the next part an start it, then when the second is done on the right side you could remove it without interfering with operatoin of the first. Like the ultimate sub-spindle lathe.

I was watching some youtube videos of these machines the other day and it looked to me like the idea was you could transfer the part from one spindle to the other then the open door of the first (left spindle I suppose) you could load the next part an start it, then when the second is done on the right side you could remove it without interfering with operatoin of the first. Like the ultimate sub-spindle lathe.

That's another thing I'm trying to work through. There is a little window-thingy between the two halves. When the window-thingy is opened the interlocks are supposed to disallow auto-operation on either side if the door is open. However if the window-thingy is closed you should be able to operate each side independently exactly as you saw. Almost like two lathes in the same chassis. So far I can't get it to work independently on either side. I suspect parameters may have been changed to tighten that up. It just seems to be a lot more strict than what the manual states. The machine came out of a big shop in Texas. It's clear their maintenance guys didn't mess around with safety. In addition to params going above and beyond factory safety settings they even put a dab of JB Weld over the cap screws on the door interlock keys so stop ppl from bypassing the door interlock.

Try putting it in handle mode press unlock door then open. When done close door put in Auto cycle start.

Don't hit reset or you'll have to restart .

Not sure what the deal is here. I'll try the handle mode but I"m pretty sure I've already tried that previously.

I gave wippin' boy's suggestion a try but it did not seem to work. While on the Diagnose->Monitor page I did not see any bits flipping to indicate it was do anything when the auto-door soft keys were being pressed.

It is also interesting but the unlock button (then manually open) only seems to work if the machine is e-stopped. That doesn't seem right but that is the only time the lock releases.

Digging more into the manuals I see the R parameters for auto-door dont' seem to be set -- but then again lots of R parameters that should be set don't line up with the books mazak sold me so I'm not 100% confident in the electrical book in that area.

I called up mazak for a hard copy of the params -- tech said it looks like it may be at least $400 because they have to reach out to japan for this machine.

I have soft copy factory params, plc, and settings on floppy in the electrical cabinet but don't know of any way to read them just short of loading them on the machine. I hoped to be able to read them but i'm not sure what data file format the t64 files are in. At least not sure how I can read it from windows in a sensible way.

... the machine also has external door open/close switches

I thought I would add that in addition to the auto-door open/close soft buttons accessed via the machine menu the machine is equipped with hard switched that seem to trigger the inputs --- just nothing in the control takes any action.

I've gone through all the same steps, modes, used with the unlock keys, etc and still can't get the auto doors to do anything.

2016-10-22 15.26.31.jpg

I have a bad operator switch on my QTN-100 and I have to open the operator/programming panel and push the connection in to get my normal controls back. Maybe you have a loose connection as well?

I have a bad operator switch on my QTN-100 and I have to open the operator/programming panel and push the connection in to get my normal controls back. Maybe you have a loose connection as well?

I see the inputs trigger in the diag/monitor screen. I guess something could be loose but it's looking more and more like a lot of additional params may have been set to lock the machine down. Possibly even disable the auto doors except when called from a program--just another random thought. I've tried the MDI codes but they didn't do anything. I'd probably do the same if I wasn't the one personally running my machines. A dual turn is liable to take off both arms and slap you with them.

Bonestock: Do you have that machine for sale on ebay? There is one in Georgia that looks like the same picture.

Same machine. Took it on a trade with another dealer middle of last year. Landed on my floor and found that it didn't have through-hole chucks or through-hole hydraulic actuators. Most of my lathe works is bar work. :( I could add them for another $8k + my own labor but really don't feel like getting into it that deep right now.

It takes up a lot of floor space and I'm not getting any use out of it so I figured I'd list it while I attempt to use it and see if it changes my mind.

Been a while since I posted here so I thought I would update with the auto-door issue. A loose terminal screw in the main cabinet. :angry: The screw joined one side of the terminal in question to the bridge of other #21 100volt terminals.

I was able to narrow in on the issue when I started to see intermittent issues with other Air control things such as chuck air blast if the machine vibrated or I touched the big terminal strip in the back. Easy fix but cost a lot of time in tail chasing.

Been a while since I posted here so I thought I would update with the auto-door issue. A loose terminal screw in the main cabinet. :angry: The screw joined one side of the terminal in question to the bridge of other #21 100volt terminals.

I was able to narrow in on the issue when I started to see intermittent issues with other Air control things such as chuck air blast if the machine vibrated or I touched the big terminal strip in the back. Easy fix but cost a lot of time in tail chasing.

Lol step one when dealing with a new or used machine - tighten every gods dammed terminal screw you can find.

Back