What's new
What's new

Help needed with QT 15 T2 parameters

Hello folks,

I've got a new (to me) 1989 QT 15 with a T2-CAM control. The parameters were scrambled when I got it, but still it made hydraulic pressure, fans, and the control fired up.

With a trusty copy of a copy of a copy of a parameter list in hand I wiped the memory and re-installed the parameters given to me with the machine.

Now I don't get hydraulics, and only get fans and the control fires up with no motion. It shows and illegal pocket number alarm, so the Parameters must not be correct? They are not available from Mazak for this machine, either; I already asked.

What I'd really like is someone with the same machine (1989 qt 15 with ac servos, 3600rpm, 8 position turret) to send me the parameter list they are using in their machine, if possible.

Pictures of the parameter screens (including those in privileged mode), or emailed lists, or whatever. Any help will be awesome, as I'm out of ideas.

If I could find who to pay to get the damn thing correct, I'd happily do it, but most folks say that without a good parameter list there's nothing they can do.

If you'd rather call, you can reach me at (206)972-4622.

Thanks,

Grant

Update:

I changed some of the op parameters to the values I had, I had one wrong.

Now I have no hydraulics, and no alarms, and no motion.

Also not sure what to do now.

Anyone have any ideas??

Check with Mitsubishi Electric Automation (MEAU) in Chicago. They built and support all electricals on a Mazak. And have parameters on file, I think.

Miracle!

Thanks to those that responded, the people on this forum are really terrific!

Here's another update:

I called Mitsubishi service and they are sharp! They seemed to know the control quite well and offered lots of good advice including a parameter list (emailed for free) for a very similar machine. I entered them, and had only 6 or 7 that were different, but still no joy.

Then the folks at Mazak Service in KY (at Service in LA) managed to find MY set of parameters!

As of now, I've reinitialized the control, fixed the pairity, and cleared the memory. Tomorrow AM I'll re-enter all the parameters, and see if it's a lathe yet or still a very, very heavy puzzle.

Stay tuned!

Thanks guys,

Grant

Hi Grant
My qt15 has a parameter problem.
was wondering if you could help me by forwarding the parameter list please.
Been trying to get the local dealer out to fix the problem and after three weeks ,lost income ..i will try to fix it myself...
I have been told I need to dump my memory as it corrupted.I assume i do this by unplugging the batteries and possibily waiting 10 minutes till all information is lost.
Also a board number of where the battery is located would be helpful..or maybe a picture...thanks Karl ..please email

Hi Karl,

I sent you a bunch of information to the email you asked for.

I feel lucky that I was able to get what someone else was scrapping going! The parameter lists I sent you were helpful, but the one specifically for my machine was the key.

Best of luck!

Grant

Success!!

Thanks for prodding me to continue the story, it's one with a happy ending.

The beginning:

I was searching for a cnc lathe in my price range for a LONG time. I was essentially looking for a needle in a haystack, while drooling over Nakamura's and Mori's that I could not possibly afford.

I reluctantly contacted a machine tool dealer named Jarett Clark, here in the Seattle area, and he had inventory starting at 40k and going to a nice little fixer-upper Mazak QT15 that he didn't even have listed on his website.

I went to Kirkland to check out the fixer-upper, and spoke with the main operator. He told me that the main reason they replaced it with a Haas was that the chuck foot switch operated intermittently. That, and the boss wanted a new lathe.

Armed with that I paid a very reasonable sum for the lathe, and another $600 to Checkmate Industries to have it delivered from Kirkland to Ballard on the worst traffic day in recent memory and with me giving bad directions to the moving company. I'm glad it wasn't more, and those guys did an awesome job!

The middle:

Get it moved in, wired up, and discover the batteries are shot and the parameters are corrupt, and the parameter list provided is a generic one in some manual, NOT the one for this particular machine.

Try to push buttons and make it better. Can't even read the photocopy of the (wrong) parameters I have that well, it's so smeared and illegible in places. In the mean time I:

Clean it. Don't think the other folks did.
Make feet for the lathe, the other ones got lost before my time.
Get a new Amphenol connector- the other one got "forklifted". (Flat)
Replace the lexan in the work light.
Replace bulb and starter for work light.
Get jaw nuts.
Get hard Jaws, soft jaws.
Get a bunch of 1" square tools (The little Graziano takes 3/4")
Bid a job for the lathe.
Surprisingly, GET the job. (Now whaaaat??)

Despair sets in. A 9300lb lathe sculpture taking up a large part of my shop. Crap.

About to be the most non delivering machinist out there, right out of the box. Not good!!

I call everyone I can think of that may help, and get considerable help, but nothing doing without the actual parameters.

I finally call Mazak Service in LA, and they turn out to be awesome. There's one particlular tech who really helps and finally gets the actual parameter list out of Kentucky.

Fantastic!! On to the machine, where the parameters we have entered are correct but for about 20 of them. Especially the OP parameters, where you enter the 1's and 0's and then the number of 1's in the last digit? Anyhow, those were the most messed up.

In fact, there's one OP parameter in particular that I cannot change. I can change it, but it won't stay changed through cycling the control.

Then there's the odd thing that there is no hydraulic pressure anymore. There was once, but not anymore. I'm thinking that this must have something to do with the last parameter that I cannot change?

Anyhow, I pony up and ask Mazak Service to send their oldest tech to me, so he hopefully can remember the ancient T2 control. All we needed to do was enter the correct parameters, send them to his laptop via the data port (wrong name), and re-send them to the machine. Apparently that "burns" them in permanently, and it should work.

So, we do, and it does not. WTF??

It turns out to be that the hydraulic spider in the lovejoy coupling has disappeared. Well, not actually- it's in little chunks on the bottom of the tank. $11 dollars and a 20 minute trip to Ballard Hardware and I've got a new spider back in the shop. The tech didn't really even get a chance to finish is cigarette.

We get the junk out of the tank, and put it all back together and VIOLA!! 1k worth of Tech support, and an 11 dollar part and we're in business.

It works. I'd never actally seen the spindle turn or the turret move since I got the machine in April. I'm so esctatic, I immediately overtravel the machine... Eventually I figure out how not to do this...

I've run one 40 piece job on the machine, which I couldn't have done without the generous help of the guy who used to run the machine all the time. About 4 more jobs like that and the machine will be paid off!

So, thanks to many, many people, I'm the proud owner of a qt15 that actually works! I've still got to fiddle around with straightening it, and with replacing bits and pieces, but it works pretty darn well for now.

The end.

Cheers,

Grant

hi Grant

on page 9 ..I cant change MC ...C axis
Also I have a K and D page .

Is there a particular way to enter the op numbers..ie 0011 0010 stuff

Finally got my battery..two boards have batteries..fx884 and fx727
im blanking memory..anyone know what the FX 884 board is for?

Cheers

Karl

well i have got the machine powering up ...thanks so much to everyone for your help...still got a K page but its good to hear the hydraulics cut in..

Still got some stubborn parameters ..but theres hope:):)

Background...

still waiting 6 weeks for the backup battery from the agent...which i ended up buying myself...Hope you Guys get better service from Mazak Agents over there than we do in West Australia...Next machine i buy will be an Okuma i think

still waiting 6 weeks for the backup battery from the agent...which i ended up buying myself...Hope you Guys get better service from Mazak Agents over there than we do in West Australia...Next machine i buy will be an Okuma i think

Not sure where you got your battery from, but they do not need to be sourced from Mazak. Batteries plus has them for $20 and Interstate Battery online carries them on line for about $12 each <LINK>.

Ever ran a Mazak before you bought this one?

had this machine 10 years plus...
using a non genuine battery mazak replacement(made in australia)....$160 bucks
Mazak dealer $280..which i couldn't wait any longer for.

John hart Machinery(aus agent)....Servo drive exchange...$3600 warranty 3 months
Out of Singapore....rebuilt ...$900 to $1500..12 month warranty

so not only do we pay thru the nose....the service is absolutely shocking

Prices are ridiculous

That has been my experience as well. Mazak wants too much for parts they say they have, but don't. Mazak service is a joke, and if you do get a tech to show up (weeks late of course) plan on having to train them, because they don't seem to know much.

Luckily I have found Mitsubishi to be extremely helpful for parts and service on the control side of things. And this forum has been fantastic for tech support! Also RASmachinetool has been able to get me all the other parts to help me get my Mazak running the way it should.

Little Orange jumpers just to the side of the battery...which ports do they go on. 3.4.5.or 6...there are 2 of them

On servicing ...We have a new bloke Ex Okuma service man (one man band) taking on mazak/John Hart here. Very helpful and learning fast...so every ounce of info or manuals i find are all been forwarded to him.
seems our Agent doesn't realize what down time actually means.

Parameter list

Were you able to find a parameter list for the QT15 T2? if so could you please send if to me..

Hi Grant.

Could you please send me the parameter list for the QT15 T2 if you have..

Many Thanks
Ashley

Back