What's new
What's new

Insert a unit between units

ggborgen

Aluminum
Mazatrol Lovers,:argue:
Can you insert a unit in between units or do you kick yourself in the but because you chose mazatrol over G and M codes aka mazak EIA?
Yes I'm a little tick off over mazatrol style of programming I got these mazaks
that are programmed in that slow stupid format. My second question is why anybody would like that style? slow and you can't even watch the program run.And priority numbers what's that all about? Can't people even plan ahead anymore? So can you insert a unit in between units? The control I have is fusion 640m. Thank You:cheers:

1. Have you taken a programming class?

2. Yes you can add a Unit.

Say you have

Unit 1

Unit 2

Cursor to unit 2. Then go select "INSERT" This will add a line to UNIT 1. Where you can add info, or you can select "END". Hit "END" instead of adding to UNIT 1. Now you will have.

UNIT 1

UNIT 2 (NEW UNIT)

UNIT 3 (Formerly UNIT 2)

I assume you're running a VMC or HMC. Priority is so you can prioritize operations for better efficiency. You can write all of your seperate operations. Then assign priortity numbers to certain tools so you can utilize each tool more efficiently to get rid of tool changes.

For example... say you are on a HMC. You have a tombstone with 4 sides. You program each side with thier operations. Now you assign priority numbers to the tools. If you do it right for example... say you use a center drill on all 4 sides of the stone. Instead of getting the center drill out and putting it away for each side, it will use the center drill for all 4 sides. Less tool changes = better cycle time.

Hope I got this right for ya.

Why mazatrol? We have 6 Mazaks, 2 Horizontals, 4 lathes. We have 10 guys in the shop, and damn near every one of them can look at a program and understand exactly what is going on and why. Put G code in front of them... and there is a LOT more confusion. Its a good system, but it just depends on the guys you have using it.

What do you mean you can't watch the program run?

Inserting units is easy, just scroll down below your ubit and prsee insert.
priority #'s are if your using same drill or end mill on different operations you would put priority # 1 and it will do all your operations with that priority # before it changes a tool.
I always skip #'s 1,3,5,7 incase you want to lets say 2,4 6 in between some units.
Hope that helps

Before you call it a slow and stupid process, you should get to know how to use it. It is actually pretty smooth, and fool proof. I know it may seem a little awkward at first if you are used to using EIA, i have heard people say this before. Just have patience with it and i'm sure you will appreciate Mazatrol programming in the future.

I'm an EIA kind of guy, and didn't particularly like Mazatrol, but...

Once I quit trying to figure out how Mazatrol features compared to EIA and just figured out what Mazatrol wanted life was far simpler. On the Matrix at least I can program most 2 1/2 D parts faster on the screen than I can in a CAD/CAM program, at least I can if I already know the geometry. For 3D your going to do it in EIA anyway, but it's good to bump back and forth, and Mazak makes it easy to do so.

It's worth your time to grab a programming manual and learn how to copy units, shape data, and deal with priority selection. Once you figure it out You'll be glad you spent the time to figure it out.

Slow Mazatrol?????

anyway.. You say you've got a Fusion 640M? What model machine is this? You sure you don't have EIA on it? Quite a few Fusion machines came standard with both...

... and yes you can watch the program run....

and as for Priority numbers.... Don't be so closed minded. It can do alot more than just because of "poor planning".... However in this instance, priority numbers can arrange the units as you want them. So, for those who 'plan poorly' can use priority numbers and not have to insert a unit... HMMM sounds just like you're problem...

:cheers:

As far as slow mazatrol, I took a part that was programmed in that format and reprogrammed it in G and M codes (EIA) and I shaved 17mins. off the cycle time. And yes maybe I am the problem. Because I'm old school, still program by hand. I can hear everybody saying WHAT? Take Care.:eek:

As far as slow mazatrol, I took a part that was programmed in that format and reprogrammed it in G and M codes (EIA) and I shaved 17mins. off the cycle time.

Ahhh... now we're getting somewhere.... For this reason, Yes... many of us will agree about. This issue pertains mainly to mill programming.

The thing to point out here is that Mazatrol Programming isn't slow, however a Mazatrol program may very well be slow. This has to do with the process logic and you can gain quite a bit using TPC and proper parameter settings. Generally, the simpler parts don't have such a difference but the more complex or rather more 'toolpath intensive' programs will have a huge difference. For this reason, most people don't program mills in Mazatrol.

Now Mazatrol lathe is a whole different story....

Programming "by hand" is your gig and a whole different conversation... At any rate, check out your mill. You may have EIA capability on it as well... although it sounds like you're doing that already...

Back