What's new
What's new

Lathe controls and questions for new user

Kris P

Hot Rolled
I am going to an auction next week and there are a couple of Mazak lathes there. I don't know anything about Mazaks, and would like to do a couple of machine checks in case the price was really good. One is a QT-8 and one is a QT-20, both mid 90's machines. I called the auctioneer (useless guy, cheesy outfit) and he told me one has a T-32B control and one has a T+ control if I remember correctly.

I have experience programming g-code on a haas lathe and g-code on my mill but have never even touched a Mazak. Is it easy to jog the machines around, run the spindle, etc with the Mazak control and never used one before?

If not, any ideas on how to check out the machine. I am not that serious about purchasing one (IOW don't have the funds at the moment) to have a tech come check the machine. If the deal was great though I might be able to swing it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Last edited:
Yeah its really easy. Jog keys are clearly marked and can be jogged without homing out. You can start the spindle through mdi or use the spindle display on control. Just arrow to the speed desired and press the spindle start key. Also to change tools toggle the turret rotation key and press inside the toggle switch and you done.

As for any machine, if you want to know if the machine is ok or "destroy" : machining a part ( ask for if you don't know about programming ) with very smooth finising cutting conditions in aluminium part.. and control about geometric fault !

Back