What's new
What's new

Integrex 300-IV ST

TommyK

Plastic
Looking for some help on how things are set up and done. I program 9 different mazak lathes and every program I make starts off on head#1 then a transfer to head#2. I am making programs now for a integrex and most of the guys are saying we should start on head#2 then go to head#1 most of our parts are like boring bars and drills. Turn on the first side and then turn and mill on the second side. I myself think it does not make a difference and it would be nice to have everyone in the shop know that a program gets set up on head#1 then goes to head#2 if needed. If you can help with any advantage of starting on head#2. I would be grateful to hear from you. Thank you

95% of the parts I make start in head 1 and finish in head 2. Some jobs it is an advantage to start in head2 if there are a lot of tool changes on the second operation. Putting the operation with the most tool changes on head 1 will save cycle time since the B axis doesn't have to rotate to 180deg. I run bar a lot and that means the part will have to start on head1. I try to make the part so that as much as possible is done on head1 when running bar. If you have a lower turret then it makes no difference which head you start on for the work that is done with it.

http://integrexmachinist.com/
http://integrexmachinist.com/PicWeek/Integrexman/MillTurn2.mpg

That machine has a 60" bed length right? You'll definitely save some time with tool changes by starting on head 2.

I'm guessing there's no barfeeder on the machine since there's no easy way to unload the finished workpieces anyway?

You need to look at the part. The greateswt contributer to cycle time on our integrex is swinging the head 180 degrees in B from the tool change position over to be able to cut on the sub spindle. If you are starting with bar stock, there's not much you can do, you need to start in head 1. If you're slug feeding, you need to look at how many tool changes you need. The side with the greatest number of tool changes needs to go on head 1 to reduce cycle time. If you don't always run in full rapid the increase in cycel time is ridiculous otherwise.

Ya, I know what's the point of slowing it down, but at night when nobody's around other than Freddy to load parts nobody cares about the time and just maybe the crash might be less, or give the overlimits the ability to trip out. Freddy by the way is a Fanuc 420iF. He seems to prefer to work in the dark.

One another thing about starting head 2. Tool Tip point control ,means G43.4 for 5 axes machining is not available on head 2..( possible but very complex ). So if you have a 5 axes operation during the second process ( like blade for example..), You must start on head 2 and then finish the parts on head 1.
One More thing : Head 1 has a better rigidity than head 2 ( spindle nose bigger and directly on the base and not on slide..), so the operation with the greatest power should be machined on head 1.

I found out why they wanted to start on head#2. when making drills and parts that the shank size changes in Dia. and lgth its very easy to just change ur start point and all of the detailed work has no changes to it.

Most job will be spindle #1 then spindle #2, but one for while I do see the advantage doing reserve spindle #2 to Spindle #1, depending on the geometry of the part. The bottom line is as long as the job can be done who are how ........

Back