What's new
What's new

integrex help please

CHIP LOADS 79

Aluminum
We have an integrex 640 I believe and all of our jobs start in the main spindle and transfer to the sub spindle where the part is completed. What I want to know is if its possible to start machining on the sub spindle. Then this is where it gets complicated.....I need the sub spindle to meet the main spindle then as both chucks are clamped on the part I want to cut the part off. First thing is it possible? Second if it is possible can I do it in mazatrol or do I have to manually do it?? Please help

Well I am missing something. Can you please tell me what the transfer section would look like? Right now I'm doing a bar transfer then sync the spindles......what do I need to do different than just a regular machine , transfer, home, then machine??

It is a fairly straightforward procedure to start on the main, have the sub grab the part and cut it off, and finish on the sub. What you are describing should be just a rearrangement of the process. You should be able to do it all in Mazatrol.

sorry for being unclear

It is a fairly straightforward procedure to start on the main, have the sub grab the part and cut it off, and finish on the sub. What you are describing should be just a rearrangement of the process. You should be able to do it all in Mazatrol.

I am trying to go from the sub spindle to the main spindle...also once the main chuck clamps on the part I want the sub to stay clamped and spin in unison as the part is cut off with a cut off tool then send the sub home and finish machining the part chucked in the main spindle

Most people start on the main and transfer to the sub, simply because when you barfeed, you start on the main.

For slug fed parts with a lot more operations on the "backside" of the part, it makes sense to start with the part in the subspindle so you don't have all the funky motions required to position the tools on the backside of the part. The time savings is huge.

It can be done in EIA or mazatrol. You simply need to put head 2 in control, and get the part offset correct. It will end up buried in the subspindle somewhere rather than be sitting off the face as it would be if you started in head 1. Just think of what the offset would be if it was in head 1 and transferred to head 2.

Most people start on the main and transfer to the sub, simply because when you barfeed, you start on the main.

For slug fed parts with a lot more operations on the "backside" of the part, it makes sense to start with the part in the subspindle so you don't have all the funky motions required to position the tools on the backside of the part. The time savings is huge.

It can be done in EIA or mazatrol. You simply need to put head 2 in control, and get the part offset correct. It will end up buried in the subspindle somewhere rather than be sitting off the face as it would be if you started in head 1. Just think of what the offset would be if it was in head 1 and transferred to head 2.

If I understand correctly, the time savings is from not having to rapid from the tool change to the sub spindle side of the machine because there are more operations on the "backside"?

The amount spent running around getting and putting back tools is significant. You can really reduce cycle times with a bit of planning.

Very true. It's something that a lot of people might not think about until you get into running the larger machines.
I'm always surprised when I don't see the lower turret on an Integrex. Out of all the machines, seems like that'd be the one which would see the most benifit from it.

While the lower turret is nice to have, I specifically ordered mine without it. There is no place to park it out of the way when slug feeding or removing large or awkward parts with an industrial robot.

The cycle time reduction and added cost never added up with the extra hours of unmanned operation using the robot to tend the machine.

What always surprises me though is when I see these tools loaded with high speed steel drills and tooling...

Back