mark 3 has full 5th axis capability
sub micron programming in eia
can accomplish just about anything
lotsa horsies in the main spindles and mill spindle
flash tool capability greatly improves tool change time
the machine complexity keeps the solars out of your department

cons:

as with most dual spindle machines chips are problematic during transfer
chips are also a tool change hazard due the the configuration of the tool change compartment
use of the mazatrol style mill programming in the turning catagories is a headache
mazatrol milling is only good for drilling and tapping. a 2-1/2 axis language on a 5 axis machine is silly
mazatrol style tool data is slow and extremely redundant
the 300mhz processor is useless for rendering accurate solid graphics or trace simulations
thermal problems cause accuracy errors when the machine is warming up for about 90 minutes
laptop style pointer makes it difficult to play solitaire while the machine is running

laptop style pointer makes it difficult to play solitaire while the machine is running
You think thats bad, try getting the service techs to install Doom on a Citizen L-20 control.
"Cant be done" they say, before adding "You only get about 2 frames a second"

Now ,how would they know that unless they'd already tried it?

Boris

<<wishing his clapped out Fanuc OM could surf the web while it bashed out parts. :D

I've seen a couple Integrex's. Most of the complaints are that you can't get a service guy.
Having not played with a Mazak...I can't comment about the control, I understand the turning control is very fast to program and set up. But I have heard not so good things about the service and that would put me off a bit.
There is a guy on the Mastercam list that has one and is quite happy with it once they got thier post sorted, but he too is less than pleased with service.
What's up with that?
Jim

If I owned an Integrex I would write a post for mastercam that would work. That is if you can sort out the code that the machine requires.... But none the less if you wrote a good post it would be worth the time and bother because you could up your capabilies for job shop type work. Otherwise i would run parts on it that don't change any sooner than about 6 months a run.

GUYS GUYS

Don't you see, this is exactly what the terrorists want us to do. The war's out there, out there!!

Now keep it together

I could learn it, no problem...

sorry to burst your bubble dude...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

MAN YOU'RE 2 FUC'KING STUPID!! YOU KNOW HOW MANY WAYS THERE ARE TO PUT A DRILL IN THIS THING?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:D :D :D :D :D

I think many people outside the US would say someone on this board is the stereotype American: Arrogant and hard-headed. They would call THAT stupid.
Asking questions and trying to learn is not stupid. I'm with solar. He can learn whatever he wants. I think there are few workers putting so much energy into their work.

pro-
state of the art high power machinetool
con-
you still got some self important dickhead (pi) running it
service-
fire the dickhead first time he breaks it
Apologies to all non-dickhead machinists

Mazak makes it
think twin spindle lathe and then add a five axis mill head to it...
with LOTS of tools in the magazine
Okuma and Mori also make the same typs of machine

pros

75% of all your turning,boring,spotting, etc tools are in the machine and set at all times.

unlimited machining options

everything pi said

cons

my company cant afford one. and i cant afford not to go find one to work on..

whatever dudes

Integrex machines are pretty cool. they can gear hob, grind, drill at angles, whatever.

Has anyone seen the articles in Today's Machining World about the Mobile Parts Hospital shops that are deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq?

The MPH is a small shipping container type building with a large generator and air conditioner. Inside is an Integrex, saw, computer, and various other equipment. The machinist makes repairs, replacements, and prototypes for the US military.

It's a very interesting story. Today's Machining World used to be Screw Machine World, and is probably the most interesting trade magazine on the sport.

www.screwmachineworld.com

markiii.gif

http://www.mazakusa.com/productpage.asp?lngEquipID=7

The trade magazines all wrote articles about the Integrex going to Iraq and making parts. I figured my fifty year old product used by the ARMY was history. I know they've used VersaMil sets for decades. So as I'm feeling like a moron for buying a machine tool company that was about to get it's as' whooped, I called up a contact at the Rock Island Arsenal. SO WHAT's the real scoop on these Integrexes, I asked? He kind of snickered and said there's always someone wanting to high tech the Army, but basically, the machine just doesn't work like the magazines say they do. Now this is just one guys thoughts, but considering these things are getting shipped around the world in big metal boxes, getting the cr'p kicked out of them by every longshoreman, and truck driver, getting dropped on the ground in conditions that are primitive at best- they just don't work like they should. Plus you're not gonna get some kid fresh out of the Aberdeen Proving Ground to run the thing. SO- What do they have to do- hire a civilian crew. Now just what are they trying to do here? Any part you need, can be air shipped in one day to Iraq. The thought that they are going to program an Integrex, plus tool it up to make one part at a time, is pretty absurd. You gotta have a crew of civilians that are trained and getting paid handsomely, as they deserve to be, to run the thing.

Or you can just plug along, using your Army machinists, with the machine tool equivelent of a hammer, and make the same part with a VersaMil on a manual lathe. After all- what is a VersaMil on a lathe- it's the "done in one chucking", that's been around for five decades. Nothing new in machining a part in one chucking- that's what a lathe with a VersaMil set is all about. It doesn't need a climate controlled environment, it can be operated without having a billion KW generator, and even Solar could operate it. End of story.

Back