What's new
What's new

Intermittant battery alarm 8 on M32 control

SMT

Hot Rolled
I started my new to me mill up the other day and got a battery alarm 8.

While I had the cabinet open to test the battery (which looked brand new and tested at very close to 7v (6v 20ah battery) I bumped the cabinet interlock key and the machine shut down (which is what it's supposed to do)

I fired it back up and did not have the battery alarm at all. All parameters intact.

Last Friday again, no alarm.

Today, alarm.

Thoughts?

If you have the M32 with a floppy disk on the CNC chassis there is normally a battery under a cover marked battery near the disk drive

Where, exactly, could this drive be? I haven't noticed one (doesn't mean it's not there. . .)

First check to see you have a hard copy of your parameters either in the alarm code or electrical manual or in the cabinet before you mess with any batteries. If not, use a digital camera and photo every page including cutting conditions and tool pages.

Sorry but can't help with battery location but you never want to loose your parameters.:angry:

There are pictures in this thread of a t-32 control: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y-location-234485/?highlight=battery+location

If your m-32 has a 6 volt battery then you probably have a floppy drive where the t-32 has the battery. Your parameter battery is located below the floppy drive. If the battery is mounted on the side of the board so it can't be changed without pulling the board, back up everything first. I prefer using the microdisk and back up everything you can select except programs on a disk then do a compare to make sure the disk is readable.

Last edited:
mits batteries will alarm intermittently for months depending on how long machine is off at the black switch.
replace all batteries while it is still easy

Battery located!!

Thank you for the link to the T32 thread. The pictures helped a lot.

This battery is a GB250H-3F

A quick search on the net shows a $53.00 Energy + battery
Gb250h-3f

and a $11.00 Interstate battery
NABC Batteries - Battery replacement for various GB250H3F models

Are they really that different in quality?

My other question is about the huge 6v battery that is in the bottom of this same cabinet.

It tested at about 6.9v after the machine had been off for about 7 days. What does this battery do and should I replace this one as well?

some of the generic batteries will not fit due to thickness
in the old t-2 and 32's there is only so much room between boards and ones i got from batteries plus would not fit

Is your battery mounted lile the picture in the link, on the edge of the board?
If so, there is more room there. The more expensive battery is NiMH and does not have the memory effect that the NiCad's have(the cheaper one). But the cheaper one has higher capacity. If your battery is in the middle of the side of the board, you have to pull the board and change with power off. Back up everything first.

Does your control have the floppy drive on it? If yes, do you have the 2 disks to reload the executive program and options? The large battery normally on the M-32A control is the battery backup for the executive program and control options.

It normally takes several days of 8 Hr/day operation to recharge the small battery. If you won't be running this machine on a consistant basis, I would get the largest version of the small battery you can fit in, and power it up at least an hour a week.

Bill

Is your battery mounted lile the picture in the link, on the edge of the board?
If so, there is more room there. The more expensive battery is NiMH and does not have the memory effect that the NiCad's have(the cheaper one). But the cheaper one has higher capacity. If your battery is in the middle of the side of the board, you have to pull the board and change with power off. Back up everything first.

The battery is on the edge of the board. I can get at it without pulling the board.

Does your control have the floppy drive on it? If yes, do you have the 2 disks to reload the executive program and options? The large battery normally on the M-32A control is the battery backup for the executive program and control options.

The control does not have a drive on it. The 3.5" drive is about 8" above where this battery lives. I have a couple disks that are marked parameters. One of them is in a folder in the electrical cabined. It is marked V10 parameters 5-1-90. Since the machine was made in 89 I am assuming that this is the original disk that came with the machine.

It normally takes several days of 8 Hr/day operation to recharge the small battery. If you won't be running this machine on a consistant basis, I would get the largest version of the small battery you can fit in, and power it up at least an hour a week.

Bill

That's easy enough to do. Right now I have no work for this machine so it will be sitting. Once word gets out that I have open capacity I think it will be on more than off. I have left it running since the 5th when this alarm popped up.

Is it possible the battery is actually fine but because the machine has spent so much time off lately that it's just discharged to a level that alarms at the control? Do you think I should replace it anyhow?

Generally when I see that sort of question, the answer is almost always "yes"

Just an update -

It seems I was correct. The battery that I thought was bad but wondered if it just alarmed because the machine had sat so much lately was actually not bad at all. I replaced it and still have the battery alarm 8.

Got some info from Mazak tech support and did some digging. The rest of the info was in the alarm history page (111. . ) which indicates a bad battery on the MC111 board (which I will have to remove to replace the battery)

I should have just called Mazak from the get go and I'd have this licked by now :P I figured a battery alarm should be simple. I just made it hard :D

Another update, and more weirdness

I ordered in another battery for the MC111 board and just left the mill running.

I've been playing around teaching myself the M32 Mazatrol and out of nowhere the machine shuts down and shows a watchdog/parity error and is unresponsive.

I crap my pants.

I search here and find one thread with one reference to the watchdog trouble and that indicated a drive board failure.

Some googling shows that can also happen when a battery back up dies.

Hmm.

The battery is here so I shut the machine down and pulled the MC111 board to replace the battery. Except, there is NO battery on the MC111 board.

My battery alarm 8 shows (111. . ) which indicates that board. Maybe it wasn't seated well after its 100 move from the old shop to me when I bought it.

I seated the board and started the mill back up.

Powered up fine, homes out fine, all parameters in place and the battery alarm is gone :crazy:

After I replaced that first battery I powered the mill back up and the alarm was still there. That's when I learned about the (111. . ) and what it meant.

Could the board have just needed reseating? Does that happen?

In any case, i'm thrilled :D

Make sure you have a paper list of all parameters while it is still running.

See Captdave in post #4

The disk(s) from 1990 may or may not be readable now. You don't want to try reloading the parameters from them unless you need to. It is very easy to wind up brain dead, and then a paper copy is the only way to recover.

Is there a disk in the floppy drive? if so what is it labeled? Where was the second (not the one in a folder) parameter disk found? How is it labeled?

Do you have a MicroDisk that plugs into the CMT port?

Bill

Attachments

• Micro disk.jpg
    Micro disk.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,443
Make sure you have a paper list of all parameters while it is still running.

See Captdave in post #4

The disk(s) from 1990 may or may not be readable now. You don't want to try reloading the parameters from them unless you need to. It is very easy to wind up brain dead, and then a paper copy is the only way to recover.

Is there a disk in the floppy drive? if so what is it labeled? Where was the second (not the one in a folder) parameter disk found? How is it labeled?

Do you have a MicroDisk that plugs into the CMT port?

Bill

All the discs I've seen are labeled "parameters". One has a 1990 date on it, the other says 1999. I think there is a disk in the drive, but I'm hesitant to remove it to see what the label says.

I do not have the CMT unit. Just a computer, cable and ezatrol.

I just took pictures of all the parameters I could get at. Good idea.

While Ezatrol will allow you to copy the parameters, tool data and cutting conditions, you will not be able to view them so the photos are very important so keep them safe.

I have a T32B control which has a problem with the MC116 board drawing more power from the battery then it should when the machine is off. A new factory battery will only last 3-4 days before its dead. Rigged up a couple of D cell rechargeable batteries wired to the board and haven't had a problem in years but I do get the "battery alarm 8" each time it powers up even if its been 10 minutes or 10 days.

To my surprise the control keeps the external batteries charged:cheers:

I suppose it could be worse. . .

D batteries is a creative solution. Nice.

Back