What's new
What's new

Internal NPT threading on Mazatrol T2 (QT-10N): Tooling Suggestions & Wisdom?

cwtoyota

Cast Iron
I'm quoting a customer on a variety of short 6061-T6 parts (hydraulic caps).

The larger part has 1" NPT female thread in the end.
Since I've not done much threading on Mazatrol and zero tapered threads I thought I'd come here for some input.

What threading tools are you guys using for 1" NPT? I suppose a bar with 3/4 or maybe 1" shank would fit in there. What insert?

Is there anything I ought to know about programming the tapered thread before I start pushing buttons on the machine?

Thanks!

T2 and internal threading is tricky if you never done it before.
After last cut it will go to the point you entered as Min ID at first line.
So if you are not careful you will crash at last cut.

Is T1 like this too? How do you work around this?

I have not done any internal NPT threads so I will mostly listen to what others say but in general i really like the Carmex Laydown tooling. It seems pretty versatile and my experience so far as been great with it.

Thanks! That is a good thing to know.
Let me know if I understand you correctly. Going to minimum bore means that the insert-tip goes to minimum bore.

So for example if I start with solid round 3.5" material and drill + bore, I may want to specify a larger than zero minimum diameter.
I'll use a .980" drill, then punch it out with a 3/4" boring bar to size the hole.

When I thread with a 3/4" bar, if I've got the minimum material diameter set to 1/2" my threading bar insert will go to 1/4" radius.
So the back of the bar (opposite insert) needs to have clearance to the small end of my thread minor diameter.

I wonder if there's a parameter to force Mazatrol to use the "cutting point x" for that radial retract move, rather than going to stock ID?

Thanks! That is a good thing to know.
Let me know if I understand you correctly. Going to minimum bore means that the insert-tip goes to minimum bore.

So for example if I start with solid round 3.5" material and drill + bore, I may want to specify a larger than zero minimum diameter.
I'll use a .980" drill, then punch it out with a 3/4" boring bar to size the hole.

When I thread with a 3/4" bar, if I've got the minimum material diameter set to 1/2" my threading bar insert will go to 1/4" radius.
So the back of the bar (opposite insert) needs to have clearance to the small end of my thread minor diameter.

I wonder if there's a parameter to force Mazatrol to use the "cutting point x" for that radial retract move, rather than going to stock ID?

Yes you understan correct, if you cant specify a larger min ID because of other processes you may have to split it into 2 programs and let program 1 jump and continue with program 2.

Yes you understan correct, if you cant specify a larger min ID because of other processes you may have to split it into 2 programs and let program 1 jump and continue with program 2.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.
On this part I can drill through .980" from the other side during the first op, flip the part and give op2 a minimum diameter of .975"

Good thread, I've always wondered if there was a way to keep the threading bar from going to the MIN ID before final retract. Lost a couple of bars early on because of it!

Also, the T2 will do the same thing for internal grooving! (Lost a bar or two because of that too...)

So, for most ID grooving, I use MNP process, that way I know exactly where the tool is going.

ToolCat

Back