What's new
What's new

Interpolating with C-axis

qwikturnin

Aluminum
Hello Gentlemen,

I have run Mazak lathes for many years but have only in 2 axis.
I have been running a 450M for the past year and have done a fair bit of
profiling on the face of the part,but my question is this...

I have a part that is basically a tube 5.0 od ,4.85 id, 316 stainless.
34 inches long. I need to put a series of 1.38 dia holes along the od of the part with a .030x 45deg chamfer inside and outside.
Can it be done on this machine? Would you? Or would you do it on a mill?
If it could be done could anybody point me in the right direction as far as process goes.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Hello Gentlemen,

I have run Mazak lathes for many years but have only in 2 axis.
I have been running a 450M for the past year and have done a fair bit of
profiling on the face of the part,but my question is this...

I have a part that is basically a tube 5.0 od ,4.85 id, 316 stainless.
34 inches long. I need to put a series of 1.38 dia holes along the od of the part with a .030x 45deg chamfer inside and outside.
Can it be done on this machine? Would you? Or would you do it on a mill?
If it could be done could anybody point me in the right direction as far as process goes.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

If you want a straight side wall in those holes, you'll have to do it on a mill. Unless you have a Y axis you're out of luck. . .

1-3/8" hole in a 5" OD with 90% of it chamfered - I wouldn't worry about wall straitness....

I kant hep on the Yamatrol in any way shape or form, but I am sure that Yamazaki has the equivilant of a Fanuc "Cylindrical" mode or whatnot...

You should be able to interp Z and C so that a 1/2" mill or whatnot can git you where you wunna go. (assuming no Y)

Somebody will have the key for you. Just hang tight...

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For an old T-3 control, this can be done without Y axis using an endmill to rough and finish with Z-C interpolation or rough with endmill and bore in-out with boring head or 1.375" endmill. Newer controls have more options for milling, but I am not familiar with them. Advice given below is for old school machines. :D

Each hole will need 2 separate process because of the chamfer after you punch the holes. You can copy the first chamfer process and just change X start rad position to undercut the chamfer if using a 45° type inserted cutter.

You can then copy the processes and edit the starting angle for your pattern.

If interpolating each hole with an endmill, it will need a separate process for each hole.

If you had a whole array of holes and just wanted to plunge drill them (or finish bore them), that can be done in one process regardless of number of holes for this part.

Thanks!!

Thanks everyone,

The powers that be have decided that the holes will done on the vtc 350 with the 4th axis. I can now see that indeed the walls of the bore would not be straight as I was planning on using a 1/2 inch endmill to finish the diameter.
There are a total of 36 holes along the circumference of the part in rows of 6!

Thanks again for everyone's input,
I just might give it a shot on a dummy part made from aluminum if I can find the time, as it should be a good learning experience. If only they had ordered the Y axis!!

Robert:cheers:

Back