What's new
What's new

Keyboard protective film gone. Replace it or toss it or what?

mmurray70

Stainless
Hi guys, im working on an old QT10 and the keyboard protector is toast. Is this replaceable? Do i even need it? Could i just peel it off cover and use buttons below safely? Looks like this is the way it was used for last few years anyway for most buttons.

Anything else i could use as a replacement?

Attachments

• 20171008_150007.jpg
    20171008_150007.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 154
A piece of mylar/polyester (as in a transparency film), or any thin transparent sheet, taped around the frame (or magnets if it's magnetic) to hold it on will work. It'll keep the buttons clean and from wearing as fast also. One sheet over all the membrane buttons, taped around the edge looks like it'd do it.

Great idea, found a sheet of clear plastic and loosened up the keyboard and tucked it in behind. Wasnt that bad to replace. Looks alot better now and should be easier on the buttons.

Attachments

• 20171008_183614.jpg
    20171008_183614.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 121
Great idea, found a sheet of clear plastic and loosened up the keyboard and tucked it in behind. Wasnt that bad to replace. Looks alot better now and should be easier on the buttons.

I think I'll do this on my QT-10 this week since it has no protective sheet at all and the keys are still in near perfect condition.

Were did you find the sheet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Office supply stores were closed here on sunday, I checked Walmart for transparency film or a clear report cover or something, but found nothing. Ended up using the plastic packaging from my daughters tea set LOL. Its 0.007" thick and I think it might be PET plastic. Buttons feel fine. Wouldnt want to go much thicker though.

Attachments

• 20171008_183651_1507585207123.jpg
    20171008_183651_1507585207123.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 73
Office supply stores were closed here on sunday, I checked Walmart for transparency film or a clear report cover or something, but found nothing. Ended up using the plastic packaging from my daughters tea set LOL. Its 0.007" thick and I think it might be PET plastic. Buttons feel fine. Wouldnt want to go much thicker though.
That is #^$&@(@$ awesome! It looks professional too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Local Chinese restaurant wraps keyboard in saran wrap.

An obsessive sort could find a shop that would vacuum pack a polyurethane sheet to it.

Frame holds the film, heat comes from above. When the film sags, clamp frame to vacuum table and apply vacuum.

Local Chinese restaurant wraps keyboard in saran wrap.

An obsessive sort could find a shop that would vacuum pack a polyurethane sheet to it.

Frame holds the film, heat comes from above. When the film sags, clamp frame to vacuum table and apply vacuum.

Back