What's new
What's new

Knurling on Mazak programming question?

PANTERA79

Aluminum
Well, I must say, I have never cut any long knurls on the Mazatrol, T-2. I have formed knurls straight in and out using a simple grooving method. This part is 1/2 dia. 4-1/2 long, and has a medium diamond knurl 1-1/2 in length, but starts 1-5/8 down on the part. Was going to knurl as a second op. on my turret lathe, but all my knurling tools feed on from the part front, so thats out with this part being the knurl doesn't start until 1-5/8 on down. Also, the knurling tool I have for my cnc is just a stick holder, one wheel. Any suggestions on programming and methods guys?? Thanks!!!

we've done it with a finish bar out, make a taper line to feed in and then a linear for the length you need.
Drew's suggestion sounds good. :)

If you need more control, you can always write a MNP process to control exactly as you want.

When I knurled using a floating bump CNC knurling tool, I used the MNP to mimic the method I use for a bump tool on the engine lathe. Feed into stock quickly using X and Z motion, traverse feed in Z to chuck while slightly backing off X (compensating for part deflection), reverse Z and slightly feed into X, retract X.

This gives me nice knurls without tracking problems. It takes a few attempts to dial in the knurling parameters, but again, not hard using ballpark method from engine lathe experience. For that matter, most of my CNC cutting tool experience was first derived from running the engine lathe. ;)

The cut knurls look better and are much faster to produce, but boss saw price tag ($250 vs $1,500 for a cut knurl) and said no bueno. For 60 parts in aluminum, I had a hard time arguing. Bump knurl worked fine.

Attachments

• knurl tool MSC item 06859367.jpg
    knurl tool MSC item 06859367.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 509
Thanks Stanley

I noticed the MSC part# after I posted:o. Ordered one and used the MSC 1 day 35% off coupon (web35) and got an extra $104 knocked off the tool.:smoking:

I know I'll use it some day:willy_nilly:

Back