What's new
What's new

Lifting an 86 QT10N

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
hi guys,

Is it acceptable practice (not going to stuff the machine) if I have it lifted from underneath with a fork lift?

This is the recommended lifting method (from the manual)

IMG_20140627_133420.jpg

but the problem is that anything that i get to lift it in that configuration is going to make it way too tall to get into my shed.

I've seen a lot of photo's of people lifting CNC machines from the bottom with a fork and it sits on it's base on the ground, so i assume it is alright?

Cheers,
Trav

Forklift will be fine. Done many of them that way, assuming the fork has enough capacity, and a wide mast. Your looking at a 7 tonne or bigger machine at that sort of load centre. They are heavier from the rear, so its best to pick them up from the back, but they all ways end up going near a wall. So you still might end up skating it.

I'm guessing your getting one of the rigging companies to do it?

Regards Phil.

It can be done! :)

This is a 12,500lb forklift that I rented specifically for this job. I was not confident my Hyster could do the job with the weight that far out on the forks with all the guarding so I just took the path of less chance.

Have you got that in your garage Matt? Cool.

Yes, its a bit of a close shave but its in there :) Sort of caught between too many projects and war chest worn thin at the moment. But I fire it up regularly, jog the axes to circulate oil, home the axes and let the memory batteries charge up a little. I did get the nasty coolant tank cleaned out tho :)

Thought I would drop back and give an update on this.

I spoke to a rep from John Hart (Australian Mazak rep, have been since before my lathe was sold to the original owner) and his response was that it is the general accepted practice and most people don't even keep the lifting lugs... so I forked it when it got to this end with an 8t (16000lb) fork with a nice wide mast and long forks.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys. Very helpful people around here.

The mid-to-late 80's QT10N's were awesome machines! Box ways, powerful servos, a true 20 horsepower smooth-as-silk spindle, fast rapids and turret indexes...and of course the powerful, easy-as-pie Mazatrol control and programming system.

Ah, Mazatrol, even after 25 years, I still have wet dreams about it...:D

ToolCat Greg

Back