What's new
What's new

Live Tool Threading on T-plus

calcul8r

Plastic
Do you guys program dwell at the bottom of your hole with a t-plus control when tapping? Also what do you guys set your reciprocating feed rate at in the tool data 2 page?
I have a 96 SQT and love it but tapping is giving me big troubles.
Anyone using floating holders and has that helped.

Mike

We have a SQT-18MSY with T+. Rigid tapping is an option, we do not have on this machine. I program in EIA and I program a G1 with feed rate slower than I need and stop spindle and dwell at bottom of hole then feed out at actual tap feed rate. I have ER-32 pull type tap collets that work well. The programming is a bit longer but it works and collets are a whole lot cheaper than buying options from Mazak.

I do a lot of 10-32s and 1/4-20 roll tapping in aluminum on my SQT15 using Mazaks live floating tap holder. I use a dwell of .1 to .15 seconds to compensate for backlash in the drive train. If I use no dwell often the first thread gets mushed by the tap still being under some compression when it exits. I will adjust more or less dwell for the best thread gage start into the tapped hole. I tend to run these with a cutting speed of about 20 which seems slow but improves roll tapping results for me.

The feed rate comes from inserting the thread lead into the mazatrol tapping line in the program.

Make sure your tapping/milling head is really well centered or you will break taps or wreck parts.

Hope that helps.

Dan

It seems like floating is the way to go. We do have rigid tapping, but i am wondering if the control turret timing is a bit off. I am going to have a few spare hours coming up in a couple days and I am going to experiment to see if I can get a process without the floating holder.

Back