What's new
What's new

Looking for coolant pump power cable sheathing- 1989 QT8

carbonbl

Cast Iron
Doing a lot of repair work on our QT8 to get it ready to run. The cable that supplies power to the coolant pump is pretty badly damaged and the outer sheathing material is ruptured. Does anyone know a source for this stuff? It is ribbed plastic with steel reinforcement inside- it is not split like typical plastic cable loom.
I'd love to just get the sheathing somewhere and replace that, so I don't have to worry about making up a new cable with a compatible connector and similar fluid resistance. It all fits together nicely as is, with seals on either end, just broken sheathing.
The connector is a DDK MS3106B18-10P, but I didn't find any sheathing on the DDK site.
Alternately, any suggestions for a replacement cable/connector source?

Some photos:

coolant cable 1.jpg
coolant cable 2.jpg

It's just standard 1/2" (nominal size) liquid-tite electrical conduit. You can buy it in metallic (as in your photo) or non-metallic (no metal core).
The non-metallic is more crush resistant but less flexible. Once the metallic stuff kinks, it's junk.

The local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace) probably has a pallet of the non-metallic liquid-tite on the shelf. It's usually gray in color.

I replaced the chip conveyor conduit on my QT-10 recently with Southwire brand metallic liquid-tite from Lowes in the 1/2" nominal size.
(1/2" conduit has an OD in the .850" to .875")

Shop Southwire (Common: 1/2-in; Actual: .5-in) Metal Liquid-tight 25-ft Conduit at Lowes.com

IMG_0394.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0398.jpg

You'll find that this stuff fits the factory connectors perfectly, it's an exact match.
There's only one snag to the whole job. There were brass ferrules on the ends of the factory conduit. They were not meant to be re-used.

Use a saw to cut this crap... snips make a mess out of it.
If you have a fine tooth blade in your horizontal saw, or a porta-band it will be a breeze.

I was hoping it'd be a simple fix like that. Even got a band saw already set up with a cheap blade for cutting junk like this. THANK YOU!

Back