What's new
What's new

Looking for guidance on programming road block

countryboy1966

Hot Rolled
I put 5 hrs into trying to figure it out and no luck.

Mazak QTN-100 Mazatrol Matrix Nexus Fusion control.

Im trying to do a back turn of sorts so I can machine a .25 Semicircle in one work holding so everything is true. I cannot get the programming to work for me even using the back turning unless I change the workpiece size to stop the excess machining. I tried all sorts of combinations, but I'm missing the boat on this. I figured I would attach what I consider the closest I've made it to making the feature. I'm trying to machine the part feature (Left side .125R) that isn't showing a tool path in the tool path photo.

I am attempting to make the feature with a .125W Top notch square face groover. Starting to think I should see if a full radius groover is available for the tool holder, but that is an improvement idea as I don't think it would resolve my programming issue.

Anyhow, attached are the photos of the program, tool path, alarm code (722 Illegal Corner Definition), and part dimensions.

Let me know if you can help me. Thanks.

I have used 2 groove out units before with good luck on a feature like that. Do half the radius with each one.

If this is one of those runned over by a beer truck questions I apologize? But if this machine will run G code can you not use conversational part of the control and just G code it? This is a serious question as I'm not a Mazak guy and if I was in your situation may look into as a solution around the alarm? Just thinking out loud I guess.

Brent

If this is one of those runned over by a beer truck questions I apologize? But if this machine will run G code can you not use conversational part of the control and just G code it? This is a serious question as I'm not a Mazak guy and if I was in your situation may look into as a solution around the alarm? Just thinking out loud I guess.

Brent

Hey Brent. Great question. I am trying to grow my business and picked up CNC Lathe to be able to increase volume. I was exposed to Mazak at my previous employer and from my management perspective, I found the controls to be easy to learn for learning operators/set up folks and the equipment very to service even for me being completely clueless when I didn't have any other resources. So with me being completely new to the conversational program, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I can easily go into the EIA side of the control and program away, but that won't help me learn the control and will cause me to side step the awesome ability of the mazatrol software.

Your toolpath worked to rough out the deep pocket. Just make the area behind the radius go farther toward the chuck in the turning process so the groove tool will fit down in there and it will work. You don't need to machine this feature using a grooving process.

If you do use a grooving process, you will still need to make the groove wider anyway as the alarm is saying tool will not fit and move side to side with current groove tool width and user parameters selected.

Attachments

• IMG_6475_zpstmcsbqgi.jpg
    IMG_6475_zpstmcsbqgi.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 215
Thank you for everyone's help on this. I was able to make something work after your guidance. I did have to go in a second time to clear out the right corner after the radius as the groover didn't want to go into that corner for what ever reason. I'll play with it a little more.

I will post the solution at some point for people that search this down the road.

Why don't you use radius instead of rounding (R) of the corner ? Then you can make the curve start and stop where you want. The way you programmed it won't work because it's not meant to do radius like that.
Another point: Why are you programming you faces (move in X only) ? I am pretty sure the nexus is like the smart and you don't have to do that. If unclear look in the programming manual at the examples. You can learn a lot from them.

Keep in mind the newest control we have is a Confusion640T but i think what you running up against was that you were using a partoff cycle (type #4) and its giving you an error because the radius is too big for a .125" wide groover that you are using. Ill bet if you change the tool width to .188 it would work. It would work all day on a type #2 or type #3 but the partoff cycle can be a little fussy at times.

For some reason, I cannot see your pics. But with Mazatrol, often times such issues that you are describing are conflicts with your tool data. Are you sure you have your tools described correctly, and can they actually cut the shape you are asking for?

Back