What's new
What's new

M. Fail on M32

CAP

Plastic
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and new to milling machines, and had a show stopper crop up today. In the middle of a short run of parts, an "m. fail" came up that couldn't be reset. Now this normally happens when the door is opened, but it's always been *Reset* *Cycle Start* *Good to Go*

I had a service tech on the phone having me check the parameters for door open/closed, magazine door open, MMS which is some kind of renishaw probe that our machine doesn't even have but we checked that its ghost wasn't throwing the m. fail. Everythig he had me check was working.

The axis drives show d1, d2, d3 and the spindle controller showes r______0 and will show the rpm when spun by hand, the techs said this all looks good. XYZ can be moved manually and I can home the axis, but I can't start the spindle or do a tool change.

Seems that it is something mild enough not to throw a legit alarm as there aren't any alarms showing on the Position Page or the MNT page.

I've pretty much exhausted over-the-phone tech support, anybody have something else I can check?

Is there an Introduction Section on here that I should be checking in on? Or just give my schpeel here?

Chris

Check to see if both the tool clamp and tool unclamp inputs are on at the same time. Check your that your gear shift inputs are made. Sounds like something wierd.

Check to see if both the tool clamp and tool unclamp inputs are on at the same time. Check your that your gear shift inputs are made. Sounds like something wierd.

No tranny on this one, and tool clamp/unclamp was one of the first things Tech support had me check yesterday-the ones and zeroes were doing their thing. I think he even had me check that the reset button was working.

Later on I also manually ran the tool changer through it's motions-door open, swing both ways, tool clamp/unclamp in magazine, but wasn't checking inputs for them.

Electronics and schematics aren't my strong suite, but I'll look thru the manual and try to make sence of those inputs and parameters and such

Thanks Chris

Have you tried writing and running a different program?

I havent tried that, but I will.

Anyone know the airpressure switch situation on this machine? It's a 1988 AJV 25/404. Another guy in our shop brought it up but I haven't found it on the machine or in the schematic. Tied in with a solenoid?

The curious thing is I've disconnected the air line, but I didn't get an alarm to go along with it. Maybe it is superseded by the M. Fail?

While checking out door limit switches, the voltage was at 24v, so doesn't that mean the powersupply is alright?

I found the door switches in the wiring schematics (r register?) and where the 1/0 changes in the machine but don't understand it enough yet to track stuff down or trouble shoot it.

Last edited:
If you have the ladder diagrams, you can find the "M.Fail" alarm, and then work through the sequence of events that cause this alarm to appear. By checking the state of each ladder input that causes the alarm, you can find the culprit.

Some Mazak's let you access the ladder on the screen, while others have a ladder diagram book.

The service tech swung in and found a tripped circut breaker, one that controls the work light and outlet on the front of the control cabinet. I'll check into the light to see what kinda shape it's in, but it's never worked since we've had the machine. Apparently most machines are wired to throw an alarm and description, but ours is an early model that doesn't have that wiring. He also tripped some other relay that should show an alarm, but all it gave was a m.fail.

I don't have a ladder diagram manual, but now it's on the list of things to buy.

Back