What's new
What's new

make a keyway no y-axis using c-axis shift

Someone asked a question and you start by mocking him? Go back to third grade and learn to behave.
People that ask, ask for a reason, dont tell me that you know everything! And what you know you either learned by asking someone or by trying yourself.

To answer the question, no, you can not, if you use the shift in C axis your sides will not be square.

It is doable if your cutter is only a few thou below the desired keyway, and using the C axis shift to adjust it to size. The farther the mill is below the desired size, the farther from parallel the sides of the keyway will be. With the cutter at 1/3 the keyway size you are asking about, unless the shaft is many feet in diameter, the slope on the sides of the keyway will be unacceptable.

Bill

i need to make a 3/4 keyway with a 1/4 mill and no y-axis on machine. can i do this using a c-axis shift in mazatrol?

Need more info on the dimensions of the keyway like shaft dia and if end of keyway is open on both ends or needs to be square.

As stated, clocking C-axis will give you a \_/ shaped keyway. If you are able to finish the walls with a reverse tapered endmill or single lip tool, this operation is doable. I checked it out as a possible solution as I have no Y axis lathe myself.

For high volume parts, this may be worth the effort to try. For low volume, throw it on the manual mill after you turn the part.

shaft is 2 15/16 dia turned down to 2.437 - keyway is 3/4 wide x 3/8 deep -4" long
i could try using a 1/2 mill -this is as big as my live tool will handle

shaft is 2 15/16 dia turned down to 2.437 - keyway is 3/4 wide x 3/8 deep -4" long
i could try using a 1/2 mill -this is as big as my live tool will handle
Big in what way? You can get 3/4" end mills with a 1/2" reduced shank to fit your collet.

Attachments

• Reduced shank end mill.jpg
    Reduced shank end mill.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 718
As someone stated before you could do a cleanup with a special tool to get the straight edges
The angles need to be correct of course.

Like this
Part3.JPG

mazak rep suggested we use no larger than 1/2 mill to avoid damage to live tool due to excess load

...and if I never lift more than 30# my back won't hurt either.
But God gave me strength and expects me to use it - repectfully.

I sometimes run 2" face mills on #30 VDI.
I don't hog like it is a 50 taper mill tho.
Just use the right tool concervitively.

------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Back