What's new
What's new

Material Shape and Complex Programs - Multiplex

Tom3197

Hot Rolled
Hey All,

I was working on getting a job set up on our Multiplex 620 using a Complex Program. When we ran this job on our QT-20's we used the Material Shape unit to describe the outside shape on one end, and again for an ID shape on the 2nd OP. Its an aluminum casting so we used this to keep Mazatrol from wanting to "cut air".

Now when I try to do this as a complex program using both heads, it doesn't recognize the material shape unit and instead wants to make all these unnecessary cuts out in space.... anyone have any experience with this? Being Mazatol, I'm sure I can figure out a way to lie to it and make it do what I want.... but why doesn't a complex program recognize the Material Shape unit? :confused:

Even though this is on a mulitplex, I would imagine it would act the same on any Mazak with a subspindle as well.... just a guess...?

-Tom

That's a possibility Pilabuster! I'll give that a shot, I didn't realize that. I have a MNP line in Pno 1 with M codes for the gantry.

Well, this fixed half of my problem! Now since I was making a complex program using both head 1 and head 2 I really have no way of describing the material shape for the 2nd OP on head 2 since I can't use Pno 1 and that's the only unit the Material Shape will work on. I guess I'm either going to have to lie to it to just make Mazatrol do what I want, or somehow split up the programming somehow... Thanks for your help Philabuster!

Another Update...

So I then figure the best way to go about it is to simply make a subprogram for the 2nd op on Head 2.... NOPE... not optioned on this machine.... I guess I'll just have to let it "cut air" as fast as possible on the 2nd OP in the meantime till I figure something else out...

Break up the roughing segment into several processes with only roughing tools and run the same process you have now with just a finish tool. No reason to cut a bunch of air on a production run. For a few parts, no biggie.

Other ways to skin this cat may be the COPY process. I use the copy process A LOT as I do not like using the Material Shape process as it sometimes limits what I can do later in the program.

Breaking up the roughing segments and following it with a finish to avoid all the air cutting is exactly what I was working on before I left.... I'll also check on using a COPY unit tomorrow. The 2nd OP is also my shortest cycle.... so I can actually afford to give up a little bit of time on this OP without hurting my actual part cycle time... I probably have 15 seconds to play with... at least right now...

Back