What's new
What's new

Which MAZAK

barrakudaman

Aluminum
There is a machine shop close by that will be selling two of his Mazak lathes soon. One is a Mazak quick turn 20. And the other is a Mazak quick turn 200hp. He said he will show me how to run the machine and include enough tooling to get started. They are using the machines currently. So I have to decide which one will best fit my needs. I like the thought of the smaller quick turn 200, but It seems like everyone always says you will regret getting the smaller machine. The price is supposed to be the same for either machine. Everything looks really clean on both machines. Any thoughts appreciated. r.jpgIMG_1024.JPGATT00022.jpgATT00027.jpgATT00025.jpg

I would ask what year, control and options each machine has before making a decision, it could really make a big difference in which one will best suit your needs.

I was told the quick turn 20 is a 97. And the 200hp is a 99. The 200hp does have a newer control, I forget what it was called though. I will look into getting more specific information on both machines.

I was told the quick turn 20 is a 97. And the 200hp is a 99. The 200hp does have a newer control, I forget what it was called though. I will look into getting more specific information on both machines.

The qt 20 would be a T-Plus, the 200 hp would be a 640 Fusion. The fusion is likely a color monitor and has fewer bugs than the Plus. Machine condition out weighs the control importance imo.

those things are in the same class in my book
the 200 will be faster but the 20 is fast enough to scare the sht out of you.
your product mix is of concern. is your stuff bigger or littler?
open up both electrical cabinets. which one is cleaner?
all things equal newer is probly better
but it takes more info than what you have given to define that.
which chuck has less play
which one squeels/growns more in full rapid?
which one has a big dent in the door?
which one vibrates more when you run the spindle up to max
which one alarms out if you go from max rpm to full stop 10 times in 2 minutes

If you are not sure on which one is in better condition find a service guy that will do a good inspection of the machines. We do quite a bit of inspections for people looking at used machines. We know if it turns into a problem machine that we will be wasting ours and the machine owners time so we try to do a thorough job to find any issues. Ask around and see if there are any trustworthy Mazak maintenance guys up there

Both machines are super clean and in a shop that does a lot of production work for big customers like Oshkosh truck and john deere. There entire shop is filled with Mazak machines. They take good care of all there machines and the place is spotless. They use all there machines to make money, so they keep them nice. There are not dents in the doors of either machine. I will drop over and take some more pictures. Is there anything else besides the inside of the electrical cabinet you guys would like to see? I would bet there is a local guy that services there machines, because like I say...its all they are running there. I'll see who the owner uses as a maintenance guy.

At the moment all I would us the machine for is small parts 1"OD x 3" long. I was curious how many people would say get the bigger machine for sure. I like the smaller machine more just because it will not take up as much space....as I don't have much. I could make the big one work though.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

when I get a chance on a Saturday I will stop over and look into this list;)
which chuck has less play
which one squeels/growns more in full rapid?
which one has a big dent in the door?
which one vibrates more when you run the spindle up to max
which one alarms out if you go from max rpm to full stop 10 times in 2 minutes

Well, this deal isn't gonna work out. I guess the owner called up Mazak to get a trade quote and they are gonna give him double what he was thinking for the machines......Evil

What are your thoughts on the first time CNC lathe buyer learning to run a Mazak versus something with a fanuc control. Will both be pretty easy to learn on? Thanks

Well, this deal isn't gonna work out. I guess the owner called up Mazak to get a trade quote and they are gonna give him double what he was thinking for the machines......Evil

What are your thoughts on the first time CNC lathe buyer learning to run a Mazak versus something with a fanuc control. Will both be pretty easy to learn on? Thanks

Then talk to his Mazak dealer!! He will sell either machine to you for less than the 'paper' trade in price.
DO IT NOW

I called up the dealer and they want more then I was offered from the owner:(

Of course, but the dealer offered him 2X the price in credit towards his new machine purchase. You should have got a price somewhere inbetween. If not, then look elsewhere.

Also, depending on your fix-it skills and workload, you might consider an older Mazak if you do not need a machine that is lightning fast. Lots of us on this board are running 1980's era machines because they are easy to fix and still hold tolerances required. There are LOTS of Mazak lathes that need some TLC can be had for well under $10k.

HP typically means large bore so it may be a 2.5" bore than a 2" the 20 would have. Both are great machines and I wouldn't be afraid of anything from 1990 to present.

The newer controller has a much larger memory. You can store many, many more programs on it than with the older controller. That is something to think about, depending on how you manage your program storage.

Back