What's new
What's new

Mazak M-Plus Memory/Parity Error Issues

EckFab

Aluminum
Hello everyone,

1995 Mazak V515/40 Vertical Mill M-Plus Controller

Long list of issues that we have battled with this machine, sent the entire NC Rack to Mitsubishi 3 times and am currently about $8,000 deep in just it. We initially started with random and machine start up parity errors but have now fixed those to only have parity issues when loading programs into the machine. The machine has upgraded -1000m memory-(2) QX423 cards. No matter if we are uploading via CMT 1 big program or 10 smaller ones our machine will parity out with an address of 00000000. Once firing it back up we can see that the machine religiously does this at 40.8% Memory Used. For some reason it is always that exact point, with all parameters in the machine or just basic user/machine parameters plus the incoming programs.

Our recent attempts have been a new QX141 card, a single new(refurbished) QX423 and am now looking at throwing a QX524, another 423, and a 061(backpane) simultaneously at it. Has anyone ever ran into this very specific issue at 40.8% memory used and the machine shutting down?

Thanks in advance!

Ethan

Send your memory board to Mitsubishi for testing. Do you have your original memory board? I would stick it in there and see if you get same parity error....at this point do not install your extended memory.

Sounds like a parameter or setting isn't allowing the extra memory to be used.

If push comes to shove, forget about the extra memory!

Just upload/download programs as needed.

ToolCat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sent the entire rack including all the boards to Mitsubishi 3 times so far and they can't figure it out so we are going to stop sending them. We believe their test stand is pretty basic and not able to stress the components like a machine would loading programs etc. Mitsubishi had us check that the expanded memory parameters were correct so the expanded was turned on, I think thats a good idea to test it without though.

We are determined to utilize the expanded memory because right now were diving into parts that really aren't that complex and to get them into the machine we have to cut it down 3 times. Were doing that to keep going but I also have a 30 day window with Mitsubishi started. They will accept returned parts with no restock fee that are under 30 days old, atleast for our specific situation they will. So buying all the cards and test driving them all until it fixes it may be the route to go, were two cards and a week in lol so we are going to hurry. I figured I would post this thread up in case someone would blurt out for example "its the 061 back pane card at fault". At least that is what I am hoping for because it is the cheapest card in the entire rack lol.

Thanks for the replies!
Ethan

Shot gunning a problem like this is always expensive. The correct way of troubleshooting is to use a logic analyzer set up to take a snapshot of the memory address bus triggered by the parity error. That would give you a start at least of where to check next. At the moment, you're pissing into a typhoon. I would assume that Mitsubishi would be able to do this. It isn't rocket science.

I am about to do something similar to my M-Plus and was wondering did you purchase your memory from Mits or it is aftermarket pc?

Shot gunning a problem like this is always expensive. The correct way of troubleshooting is to use a logic analyzer set up to take a snapshot of the memory address bus triggered by the parity error. That would give you a start at least of where to check next. At the moment, you're pissing into a typhoon. I would assume that Mitsubishi would be able to do this. It isn't rocket science.

Yes, and we don't like shotgunning either but Mitsubishi is being ignorant. They won't tell us what their test stand consists of or if they even try to upload programs during their test, or if they simply just power it up and call it good. After us next day air shipping the entire rack to them twice and them not able to come up with anything lost our confidence in their test stand. They offered to fly a tech down to do on site "diagnostics" for roughly $6k....lol.

Were only 45 minutes from Wichita KS, the air capitol of the world, with I'm sure 1000s of cnc machines. You would of thought Mitsubishi would try to take care of their share of them with a localized tech option.

I am about to do something similar to my M-Plus and was wondering did you purchase your memory from Mits or it is aftermarket pc?

The machine came with the expanded memory option (1000M) when we bought it. My understanding is that to add it on you simply need a QX423A card and the correct parameters turned on. I could be wrong but it seems that simple at least lol.

Yes, and we don't like shotgunning either but Mitsubishi is being ignorant. They won't tell us what their test stand consists of or if they even try to upload programs during their test, or if they simply just power it up and call it good. After us next day air shipping the entire rack to them twice and them not able to come up with anything lost our confidence in their test stand. They offered to fly a tech down to do on site "diagnostics" for roughly $6k....lol.

Were only 45 minutes from Wichita KS, the air capitol of the world, with I'm sure 1000s of cnc machines. You would of thought Mitsubishi would try to take care of their share of them with a localized tech option.

Talent is expensive for sure. The standing rate for tech support is roughly $1500 a day plus expenses and consumed parts. There's no free lunch. The alternative is have a maintenance contract with Mitsubishi, but that's not free either.

To update on our fix:

Mitsubishi provided us with (2) New QX423 memory cards, (1) QX141, (1) QX524, and (1) QX061. Being our problem was memory based we focused on the 423s and the 141 first as those are the primary ones. Turned out to be the QX524 in the end though. We believe when the machine was trying to push over into the memory of the second 423 is when the parity was happening. This is via the 524 that the second 423 is piggy backed onto. So hopefully the fix goes well as they are warranty repairing the card. Mitsubishi had our QX524 including the rest of the NC rack twice and actually performed repairs on the QX524 already so its under warranty. I am sure it is tough for them to test the Racks/cards comparitively to the machine but the route we took of basically swapping parts did pull off the job!

Thanks for everyone taking the time to read this thread. I hope it helps point someone in the right direction in the future.

Ethan

I bet it feels goood to finely get it all sorted out.
Now you ready to make chips, thanks for all the tips, sure someone will need it in the future.

Yea it does! finding old threads is how we have saved thousands in diagnositics & repairs on our old Mazaks!

Following up on what it took to fix the problem is also very important so the next person has good info to work with.
There are way too many threads looking for help, guidance is given, and never follow up.

Bill

Back