What's new
What's new

Mazak QT 10N tooling clamps?

cwtoyota

Cast Iron
Now that my QT-10N lathe is up and running, tooling and learning to program Mazatrol have been on my mind.

The machine has four of the 1-1/2" round tool pods that bolt to the OD of the turret and three of the expanding holders with two wedge-bolts as pictured below with the Kennemetal tool:
IMG_0465.jpg

So I thought I would add a parting tool next, but realized the ISCAR parting/grooving tool-block blocks access to the wedge-bolts in the previous photo. As a solution I came up with an axial wedge with a 1/2" per foot taper (1:24). I made a simple version on the mill this evening (images below). I think it should be safe and rigid enough once it's torqued in with a screw. The slow taper is enough that it wants to stay in there after just seating it with my thumb.

What are you guys using for your parting tools on these QT turrets?

Also, has anyone tried a similar type of wedge to mine? How did it work out; good bad or ugly?

IMG_0461.jpgIMG_0463.jpg

I decided to grind the whole assembly flat and parallel to within .001"

The taper is so slow that I think it's safe to say it would be self-holding if installed dry.
I gave it a few smacks with a medium sized dead-blow and it's very solid.

I had some 1.5" collet pads in the chuck from yesterday, so I tested it on some 6061 aluminum bar in that size.
Nothing moved after a few cuts and the surface finish looks just great. I'd call it a success.

With this setup we du this kind of parts.
IMG_6218.JPG
It has a internal 1/8"-28 thread and an internal M24 thread.
It also has a drilled hole on the side connected to the 1/8" thread where a lubrication nipple is mounted.
That hole and the backside is done in our QT10ATC
IMG_6218.JPGIMG_6219.jpgIMG_6220.jpg

The way I had to mount my parting blade was by removing to top clamping part, and you can just get a little spanner in there, the reassemble the parting blade holder. if that makes sense...

The way I had to mount my parting blade was by removing to top clamping part, and you can just get a little spanner in there, the reassemble the parting blade holder. if that makes sense...

There are two different styles of parting blade holders. The one the OP has did not have the removable top, which is mainly used in manual lathes. He would not have needed to make a custom wedge tool if he had the CNC style part off blade holder.

Nice job on the wedge BTW.

There are two different styles of parting blade holders. The one the OP has did not have the removable top, which is mainly used in manual lathes. He would not have needed to make a custom wedge tool if he had the CNC style part off blade holder.

Some people read posts before they reply... Not me [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's made for a manual lathe. I figured someone has run into the same situation before.
That parting tool is for my big manual lathe (Boye & Emmes 16")
I will purchase a CNC specific tool when I figure out which style inserts and retention will suit my needs the best.

So far it is working well. I used it to cut some length off of a collet-holder (1.5" hardened shank) for use in another tool-station.
I think a better design would use a wedge, half as long from each direction. That way, there are two pressure points (one at each end of the tool) for better distribution of the clamping pressure in case the tool or wedge is not parallel. The rear wedge should also be threaded, I used a nut and a carriage-bolt on this one.

Back