What's new
What's new

Mazak qt-15-n chuck not spinning

accuratediamond

Plastic
Hi

I purchased a QT-15-N w/T2 controller for a job. (contract fell through).
The Mazak sat for 1-1/2 years (not under power), so we decided to connected the Mazak so we can sell it.

When I powered up the Mazak all the parameters we lost, I then restored the factory default parameters.
I called Mazak and MUE because we were getting some errors on the FR-SF, MEU suggested that I send the SF-FR for a repair. Now that the FR-SF is rebuild and installed,

The Mazak shows no error and is "ready"
Why is the spindle not turning.
XY axis does not move.
Before the rebuild of the FR-SF the XY axis was working.
Am I missing some parameters ?
History

Thanks

The machine needs to be "homed" before any other moves can be made with the axies. The chuck must be closed before the spindle will turn. You should get error messages on the screen for both of these.

Hi Red James

I pressed the home button, The home X light went on.
The X is working, but the z is not. The Position location is at xxx.xxxx, when I tried to zero xx.xxxx changed to 0.0000. But the machine position still show xxxx.xxx. When I try to move the hand wheel in the - direction I get soft limit. When I move in the + the power meter goes up and I get a overamp 54. The Z at the far right of the travel.
Thanks
f.e.

Hi Red James

I pressed the home button, The home X light went on.
The X is working, but the z is not. The Position location is at xxx.xxxx, when I tried to zero xx.xxxx changed to 0.0000. But the machine position still show xxxx.xxx. When I try to move the hand wheel in the - direction I get soft limit. When I move in the + the power meter goes up and I get a overamp 54. The Z at the far right of the travel.
Thanks
f.e.

you are probably stuck behind the home switch and the soft limit is now in front, try turning off the machine moving the z to just off the soft limit by turning the ball screw by hand, power teh machine on and move the ball screw until the z axis reads 0.00 now try to home your machine, this worked on our mazak lathe we got stuck behind the home point

To home a Mazak, you press the "Home" button, then press the Axis - button (yes, this is the MINUS directional button), holding it down until the axis movement stops, then release. You must do this for ALL of your axies, X, Y, Z, C, B, whatever you have (you probably only have an Z and a Z, with maybe a tailstock.

If your machine is already at home position when powered on. you will need to hit the key in the opposite direction and it should move about 1 inch and then automatically go back to home.

Hi Slothgsr

Where should the axis be if the machine is home?
When I press the Home button physically nothing happens

The X position reads 1.254
The X machine reads 1.254
The Z position read xxx.xxx (I can manually 0.00)
The Z machine read xxx.xxx
f.e.

Hi
Only the X is homed.
When the stops I get a overload msg. I called mazak they suggested testing the home switch.
Mazak also thinks my parameters are bad. mazak want 300.00 for a copy.
Thank

We have replaced the Z axis limit switch a couple of times on one Mazak. Grainger can cross reference the number and have them on hand for about $20. Get 2 and keep a spare on hand.

Forgot to add, for a quick check you can swap the X axis switch to the z axis rather quickly.

Last edited:
It looks like you are stuck beyond the home switch.

With power off, turn the Z axis screw and move it 2-3" toward the spindle. Power on and rehome.

I am not sure what you mean by this: "When the stops I get a overload msg."

Bill

It looks like you are stuck beyond the home switch.

With power off, turn the Z axis screw and move it 2-3" toward the spindle. Power on and rehome.

I am not sure what you mean by this: "When the stops I get a overload msg."

Bill

The Z passed the limit switch, at the end of the ball screw.

f.e.

have you tried switching the limit switches like suggested from X to the Z, since you know the X works.. this will eliminate limit switch problems if you get same problem. What parameters do you need? I hve a QT15N here. can maybe post pics of what i have.

have you tried switching the limit switches like suggested from X to the Z, since you know the X works.. this will eliminate limit switch problems if you get same problem. What parameters do you need? I hve a QT15N here. can maybe post pics of what i have.
Hi Slothgsr

I removed the limit switch. Mechanically the roller is not moving up & down. I should have a replacement by next week. I will keep you posted.
My pitch error correction pages 4,5,6 have Asterisk **** in some of the fields, are the Asterisk a sign of corrupt parameters

Thanks
f.e.Mazak QT-15-N T32-2  Pitch Error Comp Page #5.jpg
Mazak QT-15-N T32-2  Pitch Error Comp Page #6.jpg

Back