What's new
What's new

Mazak QT 15 questions

drewbob

Plastic
Needing some help here guys...... I'm not a machinist and I don't know much about these things, but I've got 3 QT 15's sitting in my shop and I have a few questions about them. They have been out of operation for about 8 years now. They have no tooling and the conveyers are shot. One was manufactured in '89 and one in '88. The other one doesn't have a date on it, but I assume it was built around the same time. My questions are:

1. Approximately how much will it cost for me to get these things up and running?

2. Approximately how much are they worth as is?

I appreciate any help guys! Thanks!

drewbob,

If you can post some history of the machines after speaking with the last operator(s), as well as current photos of the machines (including inside the control cabinets), the knowledgeable members here will be much better able to help you.

Finding out where the machines came from and what types of materials they were used to machine would be helpful as well. Do you have any of the manuals for the machines? Do you have a local MAZAK service company that can do an on-site evaluation and give you a quotation on getting the machines back up and running?

Mike

have you tried to power them up? any pics of the electrical cabinets to see if all parts are in there.

No, they haven't been powered up since they were moved here. Two of them have power to them and I've been told that they are ready to be powered up. I will get some pictures of the electrical cabinets on Monday. Thanks

mazak qt 15's are rock solid
if you can muster 1 out of the 3 you have a 5$ to $10k machine
gonna be some work though if they been off line for 8 years
i'm not sure about the outside thing, even inside 8 years would bring out some pretty good rust
you need to start by turnin' everything by hand or your gonna burn up all the drives trying to move rusted stuck sht

Heh. There's one local, but the guy thinks it's worth 21K. Agree on the moving things by hand at first. Do as much housekeeping as possible before trying to make them do tricks.

Sitting with power off for 8 years means that the batteries are dead long ago. They will power up, but will need to be reinitialized before the alarms can be cleared. Without a copy of the parameters, getting them up and running may take awhile, assuming the control is intact.
Bill

Part them out. You can sell them as complete machines for parts only. Worth maybe 3-4 grand for parts. 10 to 20 grand if running.

I know, it's not what you want to hear. But unless you are experienced in diagnosing and repairing Mazak QT's, you _most likely_ will have to spend a small fortune getting them running.

Unless you're real lucky. And sometimes we can be...;)

The Catman

They appear to have normal paint wear considering that Mazak used poor paint in those years that comes right off with some cleaners. So Whipin'boy is right that it would rust that much sitting 8 years inside.

I would try letting it sit powered up a few hour to see if the battery alarm goes off (restart required). If that works go to the parameter pages. If they are wiped you will have to get a hold of a list and re-enter them. Might be all they need.

Dave

Back