What's new
What's new

Communications between T32.3 and laptop

yappiday

Plastic
Hi! Looking for help in getting my laptop to communicate with a Mazatrol T-32.3 controller. I have been tasked with backing up the parameters off all our controllers. I am using a freeware serial communications program called CoolTerm. So far I have been successful with our 2 Fanucs, our 3 Okumas, and 1 of our 2 Mazatrols; a T Plus. But, the T-32.3 just will not cooperate. I use the same cable for all other controllers which works just fine. I am also getting communication with the T-32.3, but I am only getting the following string: q.q.q.q.q. and get a 515 alarm (CMT Mis-Connected). I have combed the 'net and have tried all options I have found. The Page 4 User Parameters on the T-32.3 are currently set as follows for DV1 (CMT):
I1 - 2 (4800 baud)
I2 - 3 (2 stop bits)
I3 - 0 (no parity)
I5 - 3 (8 data bits)
I6 - 1 (RTS/CTS)
I7 - 0 (no DC Code parity)
I8 - 0 (no wait time)
I9 - 0 (no output of DC2 or DC4)
I10 - 1 (EOB)
I11 - 0 (no CR)

I have tried recommended PC serial port settings of:
4800 baud
7 data bits
1 stop bit
even parity
hardware handshaking

I have also modified the pc and controller settings to many different combination of settings, but to no avail. Any suggestions? I am an IT worker, not a machinist, so I am working in the dark and have been relying on manuals and the forums such as this to figure these things out. Thanks!

From your post:

DV1 (CMT):
I1 - 2 (4800 baud)
I2 - 3 (2 stop bits)
I3 - 0 (no parity)
I5 - 3 (8 data bits)
I6 - 1 (RTS/CTS)
I7 - 0 (no DC Code parity)
I8 - 0 (no wait time)
I9 - 0 (no output of DC2 or DC4)
I10 - 1 (EOB)
I11 - 0 (no CR)

I have tried recommended PC serial port settings of:
4800 baud
7 data bits
1 stop bit
even parity
hardware handshaking

If the above info is from the devices you're trying to connect, it looks like you need to change the PC serial port settings to match the machine:

4800 -- good
7 data bits -- bad; change to 8
1 stop bit -- bad; change to 2
even parity -- bad; change to none

(There may be hardware handshaking details I'm not remembering, too...)

Plus, it's possible that the interconnect requires a null modem cable to work,
or, that you're using a null modem cable and it requires a straight-thru cable to work.

And finally, are you using a "real" 9-pin or 25-pin serial port, or a USB-to-something adaptor?

Chip

The basic problem with most communication programs and Mazatrols is the Mazak's expect to communicate with a CMT device. These were tape units at first then Microdisks. Mazak makes a file transfer program, it's quite pricey. There are others that support the Mazak file transfer protocol, the major problem with the ones I have seen, is they do not support the compare (verify) function, a must to insure you have a good copy. I normally use the microdisk, but in the absence, I will locate the paper copy of the parameters. If none are found, I will make a complete set (including user parameters) by hand before proceeding with the repair. I have seen too many "backups" that are corrupt, or nonexistant and when you need them, you have real problems.

So back to the project you have been tasked with. I do not know of a program that will let you generate a hard copy of the parameters for a Mazatrol. For the others, just print the file. Locate the paper copy and verify with what is in the control and make copies or scan it into the laptop. I suspect what you have, may not be usable in bringing a brain dead control back to life. But with a known good set on paper it is 10-15 min to re-key them back in from paper.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Back