What's new
What's new

Mazak QT15 (T2) Bar Pull - OP1 Setting???

Pete Deal

Titanium
I am trying to get my chuck to open and I can't figure out what to set the OP1 parameter bits to so the chuck will open with M6. Anybody out there that can read me their setting? Also, is it interlocked with anything else? Spindle is stopped.

I believe the 2nd bit from the right on OP1 parameter controls the chuck open close option. Change it to a 1.

Example: 0000 0100 to 0000 0110. This is keyed in as 0000 01102 (8 digits plus 9th digit as check sum).

The electrical diagram book usually has the first 6 OP parameters listed showing what they do.

One thing to note is you cannot single block the actual chuck open/close portion of the cycle in the program. The machine will error out saying cycle start is inhibited due to chuck not clamped as usual, but turn off single block prior to that line and it will open, move in inches/min and close just fine. You can single block up to that point for safety though.

I found this thread back in the day that saved my bacon::D

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/qt10n-m-code-chuck-control-option-137199/#post639571

I did find the bit designations in my elec manual and tried the 0000 0010 but I don't think I tried 0000 0110 so I will try that.

Thanks for the link to the old post that is helpful.

What do you mean by "turn off single block"?

What I have is a manual process program that includes the chuck open/close codes but when it gets to the chuck open line, which also has a G0 at the beginning the machine just freezes there. I set my x positions out from the part so for now all it would do, if it worked, would be to open the chuck move back, close the chuck but no actual bar pull yet for the dry run just so I don't trash anything.

I'm in Boston for two days so can't try it until I get back.

What do you mean by "turn off single block"?

If you are single blocking the program (single step soft key), the machine will not accept a cycle start button press when the chuck is open (unclamped).
What I have is a manual process program that includes the chuck open/close codes but when it gets to the chuck open line, which also has a G0 at the beginning the machine just freezes there.

Change the second bit of the OP1 parameter and your program will work fine--especially if you copied my bar pull program. :D

Well I tried entering 0000 0010 and 0000 0110 neither work. In the later case I get an error 216 (Spindle Start Misoperation) when Op1 is 0000 0010 the program runs up to the line with the chuck open command and stops there. No error, nothing. I even tried writing a new program that all it had in it was 3 processes- Process 0, the manual process, and end. For the manual process i typed your bar pull program in exactly and it did the same thing. I think i have some sort of wiring issue. It seems odd that i get the 216 error when bit 2 (third from right) is set. This is the setting that was used in the post you linked to above. The electrical manual says that a 1 in this position sets "YME Spec". Any idea what YME is? I see it in the schematic some. I do know that my door switch wiring has been hacked up. It looks like someone added the power door open/close at some point then removed much of it. The install looks like an add on but not a total hack job. As it is I can only run the machine with the door switch bypassed. I saw in a post one time where Cnctoolcat said that the parts catcher will only work with the door switches working and I have never been able to make that relay work either. I am wondering if maybe the chuck open/close is interlocked with this also?

Looking more at the electrical manual in the parts list at the back it appears that M06/M07/M55 is an option. It is a generic option list so I can't see if it was included.

Last edited:
Looking more at the electrical manual in the parts list at the back it appears that M06/M07/M55 is an option. It is a generic option list so I can't see if it was included.

There is no additional "hardware" required to run the M06/M07 command. It has to be a parameter setting. Are you rebooting the machine after changing the OP parameters? That needs to be done in some cases.

My machine OP1 is set at 0000 0110 and works fine. One thing to note, I do not have any sensor switches on the draw bar confirming chuck open or closed position, but not sure it matters.

I tried that exact setting and I have rebooted after each parameter change. I don't think mine has any sensors for the chuck open close either. I sat down last night with electrical manual in hand and my head in the control cabinet for a while an I guess I will be there some more. These Japanese schematics are a challenge.

I looked at benganboll's and Philabuster's parameters to see if there were any bits set in the undefined fields and there were. I tried them an still nothing. I guess I will try to call Mazak but I have not had much luck talking to them. Seems hard to find someone there who knows anything at all about the older machines.

I decided to try to see if I could look at the ladder diagram and figure out what's going on. I have been looking over that for a week or so while watching bits in the diagnostic screen and this is getting nowhere fast. If anyone knows of someone like an old mazak tech I could call let me know. I will pay. I Have not yet called Mazak but I have my doubts that they will be any help since the control is 28 years old. I have tried to call Mitsubishi about this kind of stuff but as I understood they don't deal with anything configuration or programming related only hardware issues.

It does not have a bar feeder and only one chuck pedal. The only option that I know of is that it seemed to have the automatic door open/close. As it came to me it only has the air solenoid to drive the door open and closed, no air cylinder, and a loose limit switch laying up there in the top of the machine. The standard door switches are not there. It would not run with the door interlock key switch set to on so I unwired the limit switch, which gets wired into different terminals than the standard door switches and installed jumpers as though the standard door switches were there but the door is closed. Now it runs with the door interlock key switch turned on.

My QT10N has 2 pedals controling open/close.
Maybe M6 (open chuck) is disabled for one pedal system and M7 is controling both open and close.
Or if M6/M7 doesent work on one pedal system.
Do you know the bit for 1 or 2 pedal? If you do set it to a 2 pedal and test if it works with M-codes.

Also test to exchange M6 to M7 (yes two M7) in your program before you change any parameters, if your config trigger the chuck cycle on "close chuck" both electronically and programatically.

Viola!

Well i got it. As i said earlier i've spent a rediculous amount of time with the electrical manual. As it turns out on my machine the bar feeder bit (bit 6) and the m6/m7 bit (bit 1) both need to be set in op1. Also the bar feeder on switch needs to be set. It's crazy in this thing there are other op1 param bits that are taken into account in the chuck open/close logic but it gave a 216 error if any others were set.

Beganboll i did try two m7's and that did not work and looked some at the dual foot switches and that appears to require feedback switches on the chuck open/close which my machine does not have

This is a great relief- Thanks! I have gotten pretty familiar with the ladder diagram and diagnotic mode so that is good.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Well i got it. As i said earlier i've spent a rediculous amount of time with the electrical manual. As it turns out on my machine the bar feeder bit (bit 6) and the m6/m7 bit (bit 1) both need to be set in op1. Also the bar feeder on switch needs to be set. It's crazy in this thing there are other op1 param bits that are taken into account in the chuck open/close logic but it gave a 216 error if any others were set.

Beganboll i did try two m7's and that did not work and looked some at the dual foot switches and that appears to require feedback switches on the chuck open/close which my machine does not have

This is a great relief- Thanks! I have gotten pretty familiar with the ladder diagram and diagnotic mode so that is good.

View attachment 186210View attachment 186211

you saved me some fuck around today!

I was getting a bit frustrated at the machine trying to get a bar pull going and it would just stall at the m6 command unless you held the foot switch then hit cycle start, then released at the m7 command and hit cycle start again.

That bar feeder switch was the one that was messing it up, and it has to be switched on in the manual operation mode (switching it in auto does nothing, in manual it illuminates the light.)

Thanks heaps!

Back