What's new
What's new

Mazak QT8 No MSR

SouthernTank

Plastic
Hello out there, new Mazak guy here. Been running two Mazak Lathes a QT25 and a QT8 for the last year now. Recently the QT8 went Brain dead, had to have a replacement board, the works. Now it has no MSR unit.
So I've been running it with tool touch offs and no program offset (0 set for Z).
This has worked fine until I had to put in a face grooving tool, now I cant get a good lock on X position.

Any ideas??

Not 100% sure but think he is referring to the tool eye? Are you not able to lower the tool eye?
If so, Check machine has been homed, in manual mode and tail stock retracted. The motors on these are pretty week, maybe just a little help to get it going but do not force it. We have a QT-8 and if it been a while since the tool eye was used it takes a bit of manual "encouragement" it get it going but I say again do not force it into position.

Ok, so the boards or brain of the machine, were shorted out...theres 8 boards plus the module, all were shipped off and refurbed by Mitsubishi in Michigan. The current issue is is even after reloading the parameters and tested the parameters we do not have a parameter for the MSR tool eye unit. Which means every single part that I make has to be touched off manual for each tool with no Z offset for the program. It's a 1986 Quick turn 8, with a Maxatrol cam T-2.

No the machine literally doesn't have a parameter for the tool eye. Prior to the issue, that caused the machine to go down for repairs, everything worked fine.

No the machine literally doesn't have a parameter for the tool eye. Prior to the issue, that caused the machine to go down for repairs, everything worked fine.

You'll need to use the lock cracker procedure to enter the parameter that activates the tooleye.

I posted how to do it here last year some time as it took me a bit to work out why my tooleye wouldn't work.
I'll see if I can find it.

Found it
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/mazak/qt8-tool-eye-problem-323925-post2815566/#post2815566

Your most likely only parameters away from unlocking your tool eye. Just copy the parameters from your bigger lathe or use the book. You will still need to dial in the tool parameter for Z depth but you should be able to modify those parameters.

Your most likely only parameters away from unlocking your tool eye. Just copy the parameters from your bigger lathe or use the book. You will still need to dial in the tool parameter for Z depth but you should be able to modify those parameters.

The parameter settings for the tooleye won't "stick" unless you use the safe cracker procedure I linked to above. Something I worked out last year when the tooleye refused to work on my qt8.

Ok, can't get a safe cracker without a tech, I'm working off manual offsets at this point. Setting the tools off a clean z zero and manual data from the center line. I was fine until I had an internal threading part. I'm lost, I've tried two methods for touching the threading tool off and it's off. Any ideas how to properly set that until I can talk the boss into a safe cracker set up.

Ok, can't get a safe cracker without a tech, I'm working off manual offsets at this point. Setting the tools off a clean z zero and manual data from the center line. I was fine until I had an internal threading part. I'm lost, I've tried two methods for touching the threading tool off and it's off. Any ideas how to properly set that until I can talk the boss into a safe cracker set up.

We dont have a T2 control so take this with a grain of salt. On our T1 and Tplus controls to set the dia of a tool we take a cut and get a measurement. Go to the tool offset page and cursor down to the tool number on X, press teach, then enter the measured dia. Then go back to the command page and verify that the X is what you had entered. The T1 control never had a tool eye and the Tplus machines do but this works on both for a manual teaching of the tools.

We dont have a T2 control so take this with a grain of salt. On our T1 and Tplus controls to set the dia of a tool we take a cut and get a measurement. Go to the tool offset page and cursor down to the tool number on X, press teach, then enter the measured dia. Then go back to the command page and verify that the X is what you had entered. The T1 control never had a tool eye and the Tplus machines do but this works on both for a manual teaching of the tools.

This works fine on a T2/T3 aswell.

Back