What's new
What's new

Mazak QTS 350 Tool post bolts $20 from mazak anyone have a cheaper source?

FishTaco

Aluminum
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows where to get some of the 12MM Tool post bolts (the ones that hold the tool in the pocket) with the 13mm hex head.

I will not pay $20 a piece for them from mazak that is completely retarted.

regards,
Andre S.

The last place I worked we took advantage of some openings in the schedule and made our own out of some 4340 heat treated we had lying around the shop. ;)

I am guessing if you take the actual price of 4340 heat treated, add in the actual wages paid, plus the overhead on the shop, machine depreciation, tool use, etc, those were probably $40 bolts...

Don't be such a cheap ass?

Just had to buy 3 or 4 LH thread shcs for the vdi holders on my Mazak, only $86 per piece, hurts a bit but who the heck has time to make that kind of stuff?

I am guessing if you take the actual price of 4340 heat treated, add in the actual wages paid, plus the overhead on the shop, machine depreciation, tool use, etc, those were probably $40 bolts...

Actually I made them myself, while running another machine with long cycle times. I ran them on a SQT 250 M
And the material was left over from another job and paid for by customer. Yeah the origal bolts were really crap but these seemed to do the trick.

Robert :D

Just had to buy 3 or 4 LH thread shcs for the vdi holders on my Mazak, only $86 per piece, hurts a bit but who the heck has time to make that kind of stuff?

I need 15 of them so $15x20= 300+tax+shipping Id really rather find a cheaper source.

I need 15 of them so 15x20= 300+tax+shipping Id really rather find a cheaper source.

I would have a really hard time buying a $86 bolt... but along the same lines... how much is your shop rate? say its $60-$100/hour you're only looking at 3 to 5 hrs. How much time are you really willing to waste over some bolts when the shop rate clock is ticking away?

Mazak's markups do absolutely suck though.

Do some googling and call these people, they might have something laying around.

ASI Machine Tool, ask for their parts guy.

Spindles Plus in Batavia ohio. Ex Mazak guy and does a lot of tooling stuff. (live tools and such).

All World Machinery... they have a lot of your common seals and parts.

Good Luck.

Apparently, the prices are real-world reasonable, since nobody is saying "I see an opportunity, using my surplus machine time".

Could be worth putting in the RFQ section... already know your pricing point you have to beat. How about 19.99 ea.? Kidding.

Make your own & case harden like the originals. There are 2 sizes. Last time we pounded out around 50 of each type. We have 20 Mazaks that all use them so we chose to make a few years supply in one batch when we got slow a couple yrs back. good bolts+good wrench+don't overtorque they will last forever!! Our major problem is wearing out open end wrenches. What kind of wrench are you using to tighten these, I haven't seen an open end wrench yet that can stand up to those 60 RC cased bolts forever. (snap-on & MAC get bellmouthed out too!!) We had one major offender who was rounding off corners/wrecking wrenches, turned out he was whacking the end of the wrench w/a dead blow to "tighten" them up (not needed). Make sure you crown the head too. If you figure your labor rate + stock + heat treat min charge + black oxide + transport, $20 ea is not out of line. It is however a great fill-in job if u r slow. Seems to me that most parts like this are priced just about @ what is is gonna cost to make them yourself in a small QTY. If anyone is gonna make a batch of the LH bolts for the VDI holders, I'd be good for a few. Maybe someone who's got time should make & market these 3 items in an E-bay store. I bet 10 bux each would sell a hundred a month if the word got out & 30 bux each on the LH VDI bolts

Made some of the 8 MM LH VDI Bolts awhile back. Die $30.00, good quality 10 MM X 45 bolts a buck each (28-32 Rc) - cheapies less (and may be harder).
About 5 min each on my WW2 Southbend, sold them for $20 ea.

Thats over $100/Hr on an old manual machine --- and you guys charge your CNC time out at???

Mazak in years past farmed out both of these bolts to small shops that had purchased a new machine. They are a good starter project.

Bill

One thing to concider guys is that the "13 mm wrench" what you really need is a 1/2 wrench.

I had the same problem with 13mm wrenches wearing out. measured my bolts and the heads are .500 bought a 1/2 wrench and not nearly as much trouble now.

We bought some Metric Class 10.9 High Strength bolts from McMaster Carr. They were not exactly the same as the one that came with the machine, but worked great. I believe the Hex was 19mm instead of 13mm. The bolts did have some raised letters on them that we ground off square, but paid less than $1.00 each for them.

We bought some Metric Class 10.9 High Strength bolts from McMaster Carr. They were not exactly the same as the one that came with the machine, but worked great. I believe the Hex was 19mm instead of 13mm. The bolts did have some raised letters on them that we ground off square, but paid less than $1.00 each for them.

Even if you have to recut the heads to 13mm or 1/2", its still a drop in the bucket.

Back