What's new
What's new

Mazak Soft Limit Travel -Y

shanghyd

Aluminum
Hi all,
My machine has the error as stated in the title.
The machine won't home the Y-axis. It gives the error soft limit travel -y. The x and z home just fine.

Did a little searching in the threads and came up with several possibilites.

1. Machine might have moved when the power was off
2. Lost the parameters

The machine hasn't moved while the power was off.

We have tried changing the default parameter from -511000 to -999999 or something and still get the error.

The other solution I found was turn off the machine and turn the ballscrew until the machine is close to home and then turn the machine back on. I'll try that when I get back to work Monday.

Any other possible solutions that I might try?

Go into machine mode.Push the ATC Menu then push button all the way to left on menu key.
Push INTERLOCK NEG button and should be able to move Y axis.

I forgot to mention this in my original post.

When we changed the default parameter from -511000 to -999999 we were able to get the machine homed on the y axis. We shut off the main breaker and when we went to home it it gave the error again.

Every morning when I come in to work the machine has to be homed again. I'm assuming this is typical for Mazak machines. I hope I'm wrong :confused:

I forgot to mention this in my original post.

When we changed the default parameter from -511000 to -999999 we were able to get the machine homed on the y axis. We shut off the main breaker and when we went to home it it gave the error again.

Every morning when I come in to work the machine has to be homed again. I'm assuming this is typical for Mazak machines. I hope I'm wrong :confused:

What type of control is on your machine. Most likely everytime you shut off the machine you will have to re-home it in all axis. If this only happens on Y axis then it sounds like you have a bad battery in your absolute encoder or the piggyback board on your drive for that encoder has failed.

Most Mazak machines come standard with incremental encoders for the X,Y &Z axes.

Any machine with incremental encoders, be it Mazak or other brand has incremental encoders if you have to home the machine after power is cycled off then on.

If the machine has absolute encoders, then the home position is kept in the drive by a battery. When that battery goes, so does your home position.

Mazaks need to be moved in the minus direction before homing.

I hope this is useful too you.

A switch causing a soft limit alarm? Who'd a thunk it? Which one? The info could be useful for on other machines. I have a machine center that does this all the time and would like to solve it rather than power off then back on till it finally decides to go home.
Old Dog Lee.

Back