What's new
What's new

Mazatrol CAM T-4 QS30 Threading question

jabezkin

Stainless
When programming, when you get to "Angle" it asks "Angle of thread?".

So I know 0 deg is straight in feed.

The manual says 60 deg is for Metric, and 55 deg is for inch.

I take it they mean inch as in British threads?

The person that wrote these programs is long gone.

The degrees given in the programs are 0, 30, 55, and 60. So far, there are lots of strange things in these programs.

So am I right on the 55 deg? And what does 30 deg mean, if anything.

Just so you know, I have NO programing classes, so most questions are answered by tribal council, and they want to know what carbide is.............. :-)

Thanks for any help

Threading infeed is exactly as you stated. 0° is straight in and 60° is the included angle of the insert. The machine feeds along the angle entered divided by 2. Examples: 0° / 2 = 0. ; 60° / 2 = 30° infeed angle. If you notice, the threading depth does not change with respect to which infeed angle is chosen.

Depending on the material, sometimes it is better to alter the infeed method. Here is a page from a Kennametal book highlighting the examples.

One word of caution: On older machines like ours (T-2, T-3, T-4) DO NOT change the spindle override at any time after you start to cut a thread. :eek:

If you cut the thread and notice it is going too slow or too fast--just live with it until the machine is done threading that part. If you change the spindle speed during the cut (or if you try to re-run an existing thread), the machine will not accelerate the same and the thread will be junk. BTDT a few times. :bawling:

Attachments

• Kennametal threading info.jpg
    Kennametal threading info.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,624
Threading infeed is exactly as you stated. 0° is straight in and 60° is the included angle of the insert. The machine feeds along the angle entered divided by 2. Examples: 0° / 2 = 0. ; 60° / 2 = 30° infeed angle. If you notice, the threading depth does not change with respect to which infeed angle is chosen.

Depending on the material, sometimes it is better to alter the infeed method. Here is a page from a Kennametal book highlighting the examples.

One word of caution: On older machines like ours (T-2, T-3, T-4) DO NOT change the spindle override at any time after you start to cut a thread. :eek:

If you cut the thread and notice it is going too slow or too fast--just live with it until the machine is done threading that part. If you change the spindle speed during the cut (or if you try to re-run an existing thread), the machine will not accelerate the same and the thread will be junk. BTDT a few times. :bawling:

Many thanks:

I learned about the speed change with a Nitrocics 50 shaft.

I will hit "FEED HOLD" anytime during the thread cut, and increase the number of passes.

On the in feed angle, if someone had put in 30 deg, it is cutting mainly on both sides anyway. Is this correct?

For small threads I am going to use 0, and ALL others, 60 degrees, except for 55 for the Brits. Or 60 for all but the Brits (and Mauser threads) and have everyone do likewise.

Again, many thanks.

Many thanks:

On the in feed angle, if someone had put in 30 deg, it is cutting mainly on both sides anyway. Is this correct?

This is cutting modified flank method in the above info from Kennametal. It cuts heavier on one side than the other. They also recommend it as the preferred method.

Back